What's new

Bypassing VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Q-user#

New Around Here
I have a pihole set up and connected to an Asuswrt-Merlin router. Pihole acts as the DHCP server and handles all DNS requests. All traffic is routed through the pihole and then an OpenVPN client on the Asus router. Everything working as expected, all ads are blocked.
The problem arises when I want to watch Netflix as it detects the VPN. How do I get my SmartTV to bypass the VPN?

Use Policy Based Routing.

Look at the examples near the bottom, and note the one labeled "PC1-bypass". With your Smart TV, assign it a static IP and then do something like this.
Code:
LAN        192.168.1.0/24    0.0.0.0        VPN
Router        192.168.1.1    0.0.0.0        WAN
TV    192.168.1.???    0.0.0.0    WAN
All programs on the TV will bypass the VPN and use the WAN, that is how I have mine set since all services I use are stopped by VPN - Netflix, Amazon Prime, Peacock, YouTube TV, etc.

If you are watching from one or multiple computers, it gets more complicated, see x3mRouting ~ Selective Routing for Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware.

Last edited:
How do I get my SmartTV to bypass the VPN?

A quick and easy way?

Use the VPN Client tab to setup exclusive routing. Make an exception for the TV:

VPN routing.PNG

Just remember to hit the (+) before applying, so the setting sticks.

My setup is a bit different to yours though, so you would need to adapt the settings to suit. I have the ASUS router as my DHCP server, because that's what its good at, and my pihole as the DNS server. All the clients of the second router (ArcherD2) are routed through the VPN, but you don't need a second router for it to work, just have manual IP assignments in the LAN -> DHCP tab.

Something like this on the LAN -> DHCP Server tab:

StaticRoutes.png