What's new

Cable modem has issues when friends are over

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeff288

Regular Contributor
This doesn't seem intuitive but most of the time when I have internet/modem issues, it's when they're over. You'd think that it's give the router issues but my N66U seems fine and been stable since I've had it. Looking at my Motorola modem stats, it's not been great and on hot days my internet can slow to 5mb or less from my standard 25mb. One thing is for sure, it's an occurring summer issue but I can't ever recall total disconnection until friends are over, oddly enough.

I know these things happen with some wifi devices and some routers, as my N66U is known to have issues with a certain range of Android devices. In short, are there any certain devices that are known to affect modem connection integrity?

Stop inviting your friends over :)

Can you elaborate on what sort of "problems" you have? When you say "disconnect", is it the router, or modem, ... What do you do, if anything, to resolve it? (Restart router, etc)

Stop inviting your friends over :)

Can you elaborate on what sort of "problems" you have? When you say "disconnect", is it the router, or modem, ... What do you do, if anything, to resolve it? (Restart router, etc)

To elaborate, I have no connectivity on the modem. Wifi is just fine, I can share files between PCs, connect to the router, etc. I just have no internet at the cable modem. To resolve, generally nothing works. The modem upstream/downstream stats tend to not look so well either but then again, it's sort of teetering on the edge of acceptable as far as that goes, meaning upstream power levels are -5 to -10 and downstream is usually 55+. But I don't recall it ever being so bad or having total disconnects unless someone's over. It's such a coincidence and I don't think it's a good possibility my friends' devices would affect it but I can't help but investigate considering the coincidence. It does get kind of crappy in the summer though, for the third year in a row I've noticed. Maybe a cooling issue at the CMTS? I'm complained twice about it and they eventually upped my internet speeds to make up for it so I don't really want to complain again as the increase in bandwidth is an acceptable tradeoff imo.

RT-N66U firmware oc'd to 662mhz w/

Maybe you overclocked your router and a few more users is too much for it?

I'd swap in a different or newer ac router and see how it runs... if the issue is gone, then get a new router... you're over due for one.

OE

Or, rule out a overheating issue first. Don't overclock and add a fan blowing into the vents as a temporary setup to see if it makes any difference.

Or, rule out a overheating issue first. Don't overclock and add a fan blowing into the vents as a temporary setup to see if it makes any difference.

I really don't think this is a router issue but I'll give it a shot. Only my router is slightly oc'd, and I'm not even sure if you can oc a modem, though don't think it'd have any use. Sorry I couldn't respond sooner; I had no internet access. Being the weekend's over and they're gone, it works and the modem's stats are looking good now. Sometimes I feel the matrix is just messing with me.