What's new

Cable Modem Showing Lots of Corrected and Some Uncorrected Codewords

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryMuscle

I recently switched from a Puma based DOCSIS 3.0 Technicolor TC4350 cable modem to a Broadwell based DICSIS 3.1 Technicolor TC4400 cable modem and I've noticed tons of corrected and a good amount of uncorrected codewords. I know on the TC4350 I used to get some of these when it was first establishing the connection but then would stop accumulating any more. I still have to monitor the new modem longer to check if the uncorrected errors are increasing or if they are just from the initial connection establishment. However the corrected codewords keep going up on the OFDM channel. The ratio between unerrored codewords (I assume that means codewords that came through perfectly) and corrected codewords is about 50%. That seems way too high but I believe this is a DICSIS 3.1 type channel that would not have existed on the previous modem. Are OFDM channels supposed to have this many corrected codewords (sort of like WiFi protocols where correcting errors is a very very common thing). Any way to figure out what's causing this? BTW, my signal level for the OFDM channel is 1.4 dBmV and SNR is 40.8 dB.

Thanks,
Harry