What's new

Cable modems that you would recommend

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marin

Very Senior Member
Hi all,

My Arris SB8200 passed away last night. I will be soon looking for a new cable modem. Have not any issues with it other than getting too warm during normal use.

I have not researched cable modem brands for several years now so am curious if there is a newer particular brand/model that you would recommend in terms of reliability and performance. I am not looking for a modem+wireless combo, just a modem that can handle up to 1Gbps+ speeds.

Appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modem support is often ISP-specific, so the first thing to check is which models are supported by your ISP.

Avoid any model based on the Intel Puma 6 (or even Puma 7) chipset.

My ISP uses the TC4400. Very good modem so far.

Post your question in this forum: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/motorola

Or possibly in the ISP specific forum on this page: http://www.dslreports.com/forums/4

You'll probably receive a larger number of responses and opinions.

Fwiw, the Intel Puma 7 is definitely not like the Puma 6. It doesn't suffer from the latency issues that the Puma 6 modems had. A normal everyday user would be very hard pressed to determine the difference between the latency of a Puma 7 modem versus a modem such as the TC4400/Arris 8200 which are Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset modems.

Intel has produced updates for the Puma 6 and 7 and possibly the Puma 5 modems as well. However, from what I haven't seen, no company, from Intel to the manufacturers to the ISPs, has produced any plot data that proves that the latency issues in the Puma 6 modems are resolved, and that the DOS attack performance is improved for all Puma modems, 5, 6 and 7.

So, not defending Intel here, just trying to point out a few facts. Given a choice between an Intel Puma 7 and a Broadcom BCM-3390 such as the 8200 or the TC440, I'd recommend a Broadcom based modem.

I know that the Puma 7 also had issues (although not as bad as Puma 6) when it first launched, but it's possible that they might have been able to salvage that one with updates since release.

Not a question of salvaging the modem, more a question of correcting development errors that made it into the initial release. Any problems at release were not related to latency. I've been running a Hitron CODA-4582 Puma 7 modem now for almost three years, since its release by Rogers. No doubt, for anyone running the modem in Gateway mode, there were issues when the modem was first release. Running in Bridge mode with a router behind it, I've never seen any of those issues. I've spent enough time running extended ping and DNS query tests to know that this modem is by far, greatly improved over the Puma 6 modems. As I indicated, unless you really know what you're looking for, you would be very hard pressed to see any differences between the modems. There is a definite difference when you run something like a simultaneous speed test with an ongoing ping test. In that case, it might come down to a difference of opinion between Intel and Broadcom as to which protocol requires a higher precedence. In that case, you would have to ask yourself, which protocols are more important to what you're doing.

DOS attack performance? Ok, no question. I'll give that one to Broadcom without thinking about it.

Keep in mind, when the Puma 7 was released, Intel and Arris were in the thick of the latency and DOS issues with the Puma 6 modems. Releasing the Puma 7 was probably an educated gamble on Rogers part as to which would be developed earlier, the Puma 7 or the fixes for the Puma 6. Rogers pushed ahead with the Puma 7, leaving Intel and Arris to wrestle with the Puma 6, and quite possibly, the Puma 7 was released ahead of its projected schedule. End result, numerous issues with user functions that should have been picked up in product testing. It is what it is, and now that's water under the bridge. Now, within the next week or, so (in theory), there's a kernel update expected. I'm hoping that we're not going to see the same type of issues crop us with various user functions again. That would point to poor quality control on Intel's part (personal opinion) as Intel supplies the SDK. Lessons learned in the past should be incorporated in future builds, or as they say, lets not do this again.

Fortunately my ISP has a wide variety of options, primarily Arris, Motorola and Netgear. Any if particular model in any of these brands that you could recommend?

I'd definitely recommend a Broadcom modem. Out of this group:

Arris SB8200
Motorola MB8600
Netgear CM1000, CM1100, CM1150V, CM 1200

My pick, the CM1200 appears to be the fastest in terms of future data rates. It has aggregate LAN ports for a potential of 2 Gb/s, but, that would also depend on your router supporting Link Aggragation. If the ISP supports data rates above 1 Gb/s and your router supports Link Aggragation, then, you'd be good to go (in theory). From there, I think the choice would be the CM1100, MB8600 and finally the SB8200. The CM1100 also has link aggregation capability with 2 ports installed on the modem. The CM1200 has 4 ports in total.

Now, this also raises the question of firmware stability and updates, to which I would refer you to the DSLReports forums as the forum members in the relevent ISP sub-forum would be able to advise you on which modem would be the top choice for that ISP.

Fwiw, from the following site comes an interesting observation:

https://www.mbreviews.com/arris-sb8200-vs-netgear-cm1000/

".... Arris SB8200 is equipped with a Broadcom BCM3390 chipset, 128 MB / 16 MB of flash memory and 3 GB of RAM. Netgear has also equipped the CM1000 with a Broadcom BCM3390 chipset, 128 MB of flash memory and 256 MB of RAM. "

So, same BCM3390 chipset, but, Netgear has installed a greater amount of memory.

Here's a brief overview of the Broadcom BCM-3390 modems:

https://pickmymodem.com/best-docsis-3-1-gigabit-modems-xfinitycomcast-cox/

Keep in mind that you have to take any site review with grain of salt, so to speak. I'd refer back to the DSLReports forums to confirm or deny the various web site performance claims.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this info!

I've been running a Hitron CODA-4582 Puma 7 modem now for almost three years, since its release by Rogers.
I've only had my CODA-4582U a couple of months but very happy so far. Speedtests show about 950 on 1Gbps service and that is from within a double NAT setup including my RT-AX88U.

How did your SB8200 pass? I have an old one which just runs and runs.

All lights went out and it was very warm to the touch when I found it. I tried to resuscitate it (unplug, manual reset in the back, etc). Left it off for 1 hour and plugged it again, tried the Ethernet ports as well but no signs of life.

It has been a good router and has served me well for several years. I may try to get another one.

I have the Arris TG3482G (Comcast/Xfinity xb6) and have not had any issues. Most people run into problems with crappy cable plants that are not kept up, crappy cable plant for the structure that they are in if a MDU (Multi-tenant Dwelling Unit). I get a rock solid 1000mbps connection.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!