What's new

CakeQOS Cake-qos & RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
Hello. I have an opportunity to upgrade my RT-AC86U, and reallocate this to a family member. I'd like to keep using cake-qos. How well does cake-qos work with the RT-AX88U?

Hello. I have an opportunity to upgrade my RT-AC86U, and reallocate this to a family member. I'd like to keep using cake-qos. How well does cake-qos work with the RT-AX88U?

Worked fine when I tried it.:)
Edit: 100/40 throughput.

Last edited:
Ditto - works well

Using it with 80/20 on AX88-U, very stable. the rest of my setup is in my signature.

Has anyone gone from my router to the AX88U? I'm curious if the price justifies the performance. Wi-Fi isn't my first concern, wired performance is, while gaming.

I can honestly say I have 3 xbox (1 wired/2 wireless) running at my house while using CAKE QoS. I've had no issues with my 100/5 advertised speeds on this router. I also upgraded from the AC86U since I run a full time VPN and feel the AX88U more powerful.

How long do you think Merlin will support the AX88U? He was the one who suggested the AC86U to me.

How long do you think Merlin will support the AX88U? He was the one who suggested the AC86U to me.
as long as Asus doesn't make his life hell by splitting/maintaining different codebases for different router models. You'll be fine for quite some time yet

The wired performance on the RT-AC86U router and all AX routers I've used (RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U, and RT-AX58U) extensively are effectively identical.

Where you may see a difference in gaming over a wired performance is if your desktop can use 2.5GbE Ethernet connections.

In that case, forget about the RT-AX88U with its fancy eight ports and use the 2.5GbE Port provided by the RT-AX86U.

That should see a halving of the latency, correct? At least between the two devices.

Next upgrade: 2.5Gbps ISP connection to complete the path to the outside world. :)

@L&LD First things first though. Cake-Qos doesn't list the RT-AX86U as supported? Second, is the AX-86U a long term supported router by Merlin? I am liking the price of the AX86U over the AX-88U. Both my wired devices are capable of 2500Mbps. I do have a few other Gigabit motherboards but they won't be in use. Also I thought if using 2.5Gbps on one connected device then all should be using 2.5Gbps otherwise it causes issues, last I read?

EDIT: Shame we can't post in the official mega cake-qos thread..

What ISP speeds do you get? Officially, right now no amtm (or not) compatible scripts are supported. But many if not all (with a few adjustments) work for most here.

If you have two devices, both with 2.5GbE Ports, you will need a switch to have them using this connection concurrently (only one on the RT-AX86U). Not everything needs to use the same (hi-speed) ports for the higher performance connections to work reliably and at full speed.

The price of the RT-AX86U is nice!

Edit: ISP 50/3, yes, you need QoS. CakeQoS and FlexQoS should both be tested on the latest firmware and hardware on your connection to see if they work (I know FlexQoS does) and which is better.

Ok, wait. So Both Cake-qos, & Skynet are not currently supported on the AX86U?

EDIT: By choice I am not using anything from TrendMicro.

Last edited:
No, nothing is supported. Yet it works for many. :)

Beta firmware and all. ;)

No, nothing is supported. Yet it works for many. :)

Beta firmware and all. ;)

You think amtm, cake, and skynet will eventually be supported?

What's the story with those 3 addons? They simply work, no snags or issues??? How is that possible? Same underlying framework or structure as the AX88U?

There is a huge snag with the addons. You need to buy an RT-AX86U to see if they work well within your network and with your clients! :D

Even if they don't work (for whatever unknown reason at this point) now, they will soon.

Many brilliant minds working overtime to make this 'just work' for us who think 'coding' is something prescribed for mild to moderate pain relief. :D

Many brilliant minds working overtime to make this 'just work' for us who think 'coding' is something prescribed for mild to moderate pain relief. :D
lol, and runny noses. yeah, we need to step away from the egg nog.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!