What's new

CakeQOS CAKE QOS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Untitled.jpg

Did I do good dad?

It basically told you that you didn’t meet the prerequisites and made one settings change. But you also need Entware installed via amtm and a USB drive plugged into the router (prereq for Entware). Then try the cake install again.

MMM yeh I got entware on to the usb via amtm, but as I was working around a nagging family it all went a bit wrong. When I got cake on and running my speed dropped to 80, so I kinda panicked, not realising my wifi adaptor had gone on to 2.4ghz from 5ghz. So I uninstalled it, and still the network speed was a bit slower, possibly the time of day as well. I opted to reinstall everything, I had previosly saved the settings. By this time I was tired, ended up with the wrong password, couldn't log back in. Had to get the laptop out to connect direct. Got back in, reinstalled Merlin, Reloaded settings and left as it was 1am by that point. Will try cake another time when my family are not around. One thing I did notice though is that the factory reset options do not seem to reset to the original ASUS firmware, it still had the latest Merlin on it. Is there a sure fire ez way to go back to factory completely? I'm considering flex qos now, but even that uses trend which I was hoping to avoid.

If you are running Merlin FW a factory reset will only drop you back to a vanilla version on Merlin. To revert back to ASUS’ FW, you need to flash the ASUS FW.

If you are running Merlin FW a factory reset will only drop you back to a vanilla version on Merlin. To revert back to ASUS’ FW, you need to flash the ASUS FW.
That's great, thank you. Works a bit differently to the rt-n66u I had previously. Pretty sure that just went back to asus fw on reset.

No, the RT-N66U worked the same. No router has enough nand to hold the 'as-sold' firmware and the third-party firmware you're trying on it. ;)