What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SilentStorm

Regular Contributor
Hey everyone,

I see this link for tweaking to CakeQoS.

Few things I want to do. I want to have an ack-filter, I also want to change the overhead parameters to ethernet (this router is never used for wifi, only ethernet) and I want to change the round trip parameters to lan (also because this router is never used for wifi). This is for my Asus Rog GT Ac2900.

I'll be completely honest, I don't know how to use these commands.

How do I go about using the commands? I've logged into my router through PuTTY (SSH).

Any help would be appreciated.

When you're connected to the router with putty, go to cake-qos > (4) change cake settings and under (4) Extra download options and (5) extra upload options, enter these keywords:
Code:
ethernet lan

And that should do it, I guess.

When you're connected to the router with putty, go to cake-qos > (4) change cake settings and under (4) Extra download options and (5) extra upload options, enter these keywords:
Code:
ethernet lan

And that should do it, I guess.
Thanks

What about ack-filter?

Thanks

What about ack-filter?
What are your speeds? You might not need it depending on your speeds, and if so, just input on upload side. Test it 1st with the recommendations provided by underdose without ack-filter.

What are your speeds? You might not need it depending on your speeds, and if so, just input on upload side. Test it 1st with the recommendations provided by underdose without ack-filter.
500/20, although this is a second router for us, so only gaming devices are connected to it (yes I'm aware I'm double NAT).

Absolutely willing to sacrifice speed if it means for better latency.

Going to test with the other settings as well.

I don’t think ethernet and lan are appropriate. You need to plan for the internet side of your connection, not the LAN side. The bottleneck is “out there” not in your house.

You might have issues joining lobbies/party chats when gaming with double-nat.

I don’t think ethernet and lan are appropriate. You need to plan for the internet side of your connection, not the LAN side. The bottleneck is “out there” not in your house.
What would you recommend? This is all new to me so...

Should I use DOCSIS? That's what my current gateway uses.

I figured I would put ethernet since no one uses wifi with this router.

You might have issues joining lobbies/party chats when gaming with double-nat.
No issues so far. What I did is I put the router in DMZ so that all ports are accessible to the router. I then have UPnP on the router. I get open Nat.

Also, what would be the recommended speeds to use ack-filter? I can try it on the upload side as you said.

Keep it simple, Im using Comcast ISP with 95% of my normal bandwidth speeds:

[1] --> Download Speed | [215 Mbit]
[2] --> Upload Speed | [5 Mbit]
[3] --> Queue Priority | [besteffort]
[4] --> Extra Download Options | [docsis]
[5] --> Extra Upload Options | [docsis ack-filter]

Of course use your speeds vs my setup above.

Keep it simple, Im using Comcast ISP with 95% of my normal bandwidth speeds:

[1] --> Download Speed | [215 Mbit]
[2] --> Upload Speed | [5 Mbit]
[3] --> Queue Priority | [besteffort]
[4] --> Extra Download Options | [docsis]
[5] --> Extra Upload Options | [docsis ack-filter]
Alright, I'll give that a try.

Thanks

Cake is designed to work very well with default settings, so I wouldn’t try too hard to customize at first.
Also, what would be the recommended speeds to use ack-filter? I can try it on the upload side as you said.
since your upload and download are very asymmetrical, ack-filter is probably warranted.

At 500 Mbps down, you should see what throughout you can actually achieve with cake and your router’s CPU. You might find a CPU bottleneck before you reach that speed.

Alright, I'll give that a try.

Thanks
Let us know on the outcome. Run a few speedtest thru dls reports speedtest.

You should see A+ bufferbloat. Good luck.

Cake is designed to work very well with default settings, so I wouldn’t try too hard to customize at first.

since your upload and download are very asymmetrical, ack-filter is probably warranted.

At 500 Mbps down, you should see what throughout you can actually achieve with cake and your router’s CPU. You might find a CPU bottleneck before you reach that speed.
For ack-filter, would I need it for just upload or both?

Let us know on the outcome. Run a few speedtest thru dls reports speedtest.

You should see A+ bufferbloat. Good luck.
Will do! Is the command just ack-filter?

Will do! Is the command just ack-filter?
Yes the command is just that. You can try ack-filter on both upload/download and test it as suggested by @dave14305. His alot smarter than me :) You can than remove ack-filter from download and test again until your satisfy with the results. I found this old thread on Google that states when to use ack-filter (only on upload) but its old and doesn't specify whether to use on symmetrical or asymmetrical speeds. You'll have to try and test for yourself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210210-185741_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210210-185741_Chrome.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 112
Yes the command is just that. You can try ack-filter on both upload/download and test it as suggested by @dave14305. His alot smarter than me :) You can than remove ack-filter from download and test again until your satisfy with the results. I found this old thread on Google that states when to use ack-filter (only on upload) but its old and doesn't specify whether to use on symmetrical or asymmetrical speeds. You'll have to try and test for yourself.
Hey!

How would I go about including docsis and ack-filter the at the same time?

When I do cake-qos settings optionsup docsis ack-filter, it only applies the docsis and not the ack-filter. If I do one at a time, it removes any previous settings.