What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS-Merlin v2.0.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ttgapers

I am happy to announce CakeQOS v2.0.0 is released.

It's been overdue for a bit, but recently @dave14305 ironed out the last kink so we should be good to go, and the old menu is back -- perhaps amtm time?

Pre-Reqs
  1. Currently supports ASUS HND models running ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware version 386.2 and above. Versions prior to 386.2 are supported on the legacy 386 branch or 384 branch. This script will automatically install the appropriate legacy version if your firmware does not support Cake natively.
  2. Not recommended for connection up/down of 250Mbps or higher. Note: Users with higher up/down connections have reported lower peaks but better stability and user experience overall and continue to use Cake.
Note: For best results, uninstall the legacy CakeQOS-Merlin v1.0 script (only if used), then enable Cake in the router WebUI under Adaptive QoS / QoS (a reboot may be required). If this is your first time using the addon then the uninstall is NOT required.
Code:
cake-qos uninstall

Install
Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/addons/cake-qos && /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/master/cake-qos.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos && sh /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos install

Changelog
Github Pull: https://github.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/pull/75

This release would not be possible without all previous contributors from cake builds, to cake scripts/mods, cake testing and never forget the ones who support the users as well. Also to @RMerlin for including cake in the mainline! I thank you all. This one is the @dave14305 release!

Last edited:
Hi
problem with the installation of this version of cakeqo.
I have a rt-ac86u with rmerlin ver 386.2.4 and cakeqos enabled.
EB11D765-D747-4188-BAB0-24D45279D850.jpeg

Now by ssh connection I run the command : cake-qos uninstall
but I see error: cake-qos: not found.
How I can resolved the error ?

Thanks to all

Hi
problem with the installation of this version of cakeqo.
I have a rt-ac86u with rmerlin ver 386.2.4 and cakeqos enabled.
View attachment 34027
Now by ssh connection I run the command : cake-qos uninstall
but I see error: cake-qos: not found.
How I can resolved the error ?

Thanks to all

What is the output of...
Code:
ls -l /jffs/addons/cake-qos/

Second question, by the screenshot it looks like default Cake via firmware. Did you ever have Cake-Qos installed prior? If you didn't it will explain your error and thus I should clarify the need for the uninstall command -- only if you previously used the addon.

So for you it appears you should just do the install:

Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/addons/cake-qos && /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/master/cake-qos.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos && sh /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos install

What is the output of...
Code:

Second question, by the screenshot it looks like default Cake via firmware. Did you ever have Cake-Qos installed prior? If you didn't it will explain your error and thus I should clarify the need for the uninstall command -- only if you previously used the addon.

So for you it appears you should just do the install:

Code:
Hi
the output is this:
ls: /jffs/addons/cake-qos/: No such file or directory

I have never installed cakeqos as an addon, so it is installed by firmware.

Before to run The commando make -p …… should I disable the cakeqos ?

Thanks

will cake in the future implemented to non HND Routers like many users still use the rt-ac5300 ?

Hi
the output is this:
ls: /jffs/addons/cake-qos/: No such file or directory

I have never installed cakeqos as an addon, so it is installed by firmware.

Before to run The commando make -p …… should I disable the cakeqos ?

Thanks

no need to disable :)

the script detects your firmware version as well as whether it is enabled (legacy and in-firmware). So as @dave14305 tends to tell me "Let it rip!"

If I would like to install cake and try it out, do I need to uninstall FlexQoS first or can I just click on cake and apply and it will automatically turn off Flex? Thanks

Congratulations on the release! I've been looking forward to the stats you include. I'd been configured via the options file per Merlin and those options did not appear to arrive in the GUI. No big deal. A couple of clicks and working great!

Thank you all for the great work!

Morris

installed on AX86U running Merlin 386.2_4 - was running Cake provided by Merlin build (e.g.: no previous legacy script, no previous FlexQoS). Immediately after install the CakeQoS-Merlin tab is shown in Adaptive QoS, with information about Cake.

During the first hour after install, several times the CakeQoS-Merlin tab shows "Cake is not running. Try again later.", then after refreshing status the information shows as expected.

Thanks for the update.

During the first hour after install, several times the CakeQoS-Merlin tab shows "Cake is not running. Try again later.", then after refreshing status the information shows as expected.
Do you happen to run spdMerlin, which would temporarily disable QoS during a speedtest?

Congratulations! Cake with Cake-Qos should be essential!

I've been using Cake-qos for almost 2 months, and I'm really happy. I even used it with a 13mb down / 0.6 mb adsl connection and it was really great with some DSCP rules (dave14305 rules for zoom and teams) that month.

How about adding dave14305's iptables rules for marking conference uploads to use the voice tin and somehow marking the icloud uploads of apple devices as bulk for the very unfortunate who still lives in the ADSL era in small towns?

Thank you dave14305 and ttgapers!

dave14305's iptables rules: link and minor correction

I've been using Cake-qos for almost 2 months, and I'm really happy. I even used it with a 13mb down / 0.6 mb adsl connection and it was really great with some DSCP rules (dave14305 rules for zoom and teams) that month.

How about adding dave14305's iptables rules for marking conference uploads to use the voice tin and somehow marking the icloud uploads of apple devices as bulk for the very unfortunate who still lives in the ADSL era in small towns?

Thanks for sharing.

Do these rules for Zoom/Teams have to be manually added to the cake script?

Disregard...I think I might have figured it out

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

Do these rules for Zoom/Teams have to be manually added to the cake script?
Not at all.

As dave14305 pointed out these rules could be used to create a new script file in /jffs/scripts folder (don't forget to chmod +x the script if you want it to autostart) and it will be applied at each restart to the iptables and cake respects these upload prioritization rules. I was just merely suggesting that adding an option to cake-qos for prioritizing Zoom/Teams calls will be very convenient.

These rules are interesting. I'll have a look at it some more, and see if it helps on my end, as I and others are heavy Teams/Zoom users for work these days.

@dave14305 - something for us to definitely look at down the road. I know you have mentioned it up to a few days ago.