What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS-Merlin v2.1.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ttgapers

**** DEVELOP Branch update to v.2.2.1 ***
See:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/cakeqos-merlin-v2-1-0.74309/post-717254
Thanks for @dave14305 for this update to the Develop branch. Feedback appreciated.

Continue reading for PROD v2.1.1

I am happy to announce CakeQOS v2.1.1 is released.

Key Update: Added iptables Upload Classification Rules

Pre-Reqs
  1. Currently supports ASUS HND models running ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware version 386.2 and above. Versions prior to 386.2 are supported on the legacy 386 branch or 384 branch. This script will automatically install the appropriate legacy version if your firmware does not support Cake natively. Legacy branches are no longer updated.
  2. Not recommended for connection up/down of 250Mbps or higher. Note: Some users with higher up/down connections have reported lower peaks but better stability and user experience overall and continue to use Cake.
Update
  • Via GUI
  • Via CLI
Install
Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/addons/cake-qos && /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/master/cake-qos.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos && sh /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos install

Changelog

This release would not be possible without all previous contributors from cake builds, to cake scripts/mods, cake testing and never forget the ones who support the users as well. Also to @RMerlin for including cake in the mainline! I thank you all. This one is another @dave14305 release!

Last edited:
1629390137421.png

I just upgraded my RT-AX86u with v 386.3.2 to CakeQOS v2.1.0 via the GUI. I did not get my usual A+ rating and when I investigated I found the upload and download settings were reversed. I'm wondering if this was the code or me. I corrected and now get A+ Bufferbloat rating.

Morris

I just upgraded my RT-AX86u with v 386.3.2 to CakeQOS v2.1.0 via the GUI. I did not get my usual A+ rating and when I investigated I found the upload and download settings were reversed. I'm wondering if this was the code or me. I corrected and now get A+ Bufferbloat rating.

Morris
We don’t actually modify or even read the bandwidth values, so I’m guessing this was on you. ;)

We don’t actually modify or even read the bandwidth values, so I’m guessing this was on you. ;)
I probably did that when I upgraded my router. I'm surprised I got A+ when I tested. Did not today and that is when I saw the change.

What problem are you having that you are trying to solve?

Morris
Oh, I haven't tried it yet. I just read this on the github. I guess it's worth a try if the only loss is marginal bandwidth decline.

1. Not recommended for connection up/down of 250Mbps or higher. Note: Users with higher up/down connections have reported lower peaks but better stability and user experience overall and continue to use Cake.

Oh, I haven't tried it yet. I just read this on the github. I guess it's worth a try if the only loss is marginal bandwidth decline.

1. Not recommended for connection up/down of 250Mbps or higher. Note: Users with higher up/down connections have reported lower peaks but better stability and user experience overall and continue to use Cake.

So your goal is to take a router that works well and slow it down?

Morris

So your goal is to take a router that works well and slow it down?

Morris
There isn't any mention of how much it will slow it down. If I'm just going to lose 50Mbps in gains elsewhere, sure, lets do it. If it means cutting my connection in half, then no. I'm okay with a subtle compromise. My symmetrical gig WAN connection is in excess of my needs anyways.

There isn't any mention of how much it will slow it down. If I'm just going to lose 50Mbps in gains elsewhere, sure, lets do it. If it means cutting my connection in half, then no. I'm okay with a subtle compromise. My symmetrical gig WAN connection is in excess of my needs anyways.

Go ahead and turn it on and let us know just how slow things get.

Morris

Go ahead and turn it on and let us know just how slow things get.

Morris
It slows it down considerably. So it's disabled for now.

Trying to uninstall but running into issues. Ideas?

admin@merlin:/tmp/home/root# cake-qos uninstall
-sh: cake-qos: not found

Attachments

• cake4.JPG
    cake4.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 791
  • cake3.JPG
    cake3.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 689
  • cake2.JPG
    cake2.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 814
  • cake1.JPG
    cake1.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 855
You don't need to uninstall it. Cake is built into Merlin. What you installed is a GUI add on TAB

So what is the problem you are trying to solve?

Just seeing if it would help get me an A+, it didn't. Tried traditional QOS with similar reduced speeds. In the past manually setting the min/max worked well but this was before going 1000/1000.

Just seeing if it would help get me an A+, it didn't. Tried traditional QOS with similar reduced speeds. In the past manually setting the min/max worked well but this was before going 1000/1000.
Your best chance would be to use Adaptive QoS which keeps HW Acceleration active. All other QoS options require HW Acceleration to be disabled.

If you really want to use Cake with gigabit, consider a Raspberry Pi 4 router with OpenWRT.

I can second Daves suggestion if you want Cake / piece of cake while getting more throughput then you need different hardware.
Ive got OpenWRT running on a protectli fw appliance.

Both AsusMerlin and OpenWRT are great operating systems.
OpenWRT might take a little more understanding and configuration but with the luci gui its pretty newbie friendly.

I need some feedback, i am using an AX-58U connected to a Vigor 130 VDSL & ADSL2+ Modem in bridge mode.

My connection is a 100 Down / 40 Up from Vodafone Germany.
But from the line, only 75 Down and 38 Up arrive on my end.

Are my Cake settings ok or is there room for improvement ?
I need it mostly for some Netflix, Youtube and my GF for Insta etc.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-22 um 15.17.01.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-22 um 15.17.01.png
    489.7 KB · Views: 1,132
I need some feedback, i am using an AX-58U connected to a Vigor 130 VDSL & ADSL2+ Modem in bridge mode.

My connection is a 100 Down / 40 Up from Vodafone Germany.
But from the line, only 75 Down and 38 Up arrive on my end.

Are my Cake settings ok or is there room for improvement ?
I need it mostly for some Netflix, Youtube and my GF for Insta etc.
How did you arrive at those custom parameters? The rtt is redundant since that is the default value.

I would also not filter ACKs since your DL/UL speeds aren’t extremely asymmetric.

Thanks for your opinion, il post my Bookmarks and Sources:
Hardware: AX-58U connected to a Vigor 130 Modem in Bridge Mode.
ISP: 100 Down / 40 Up (theoretic) VDSL2 from Vodafone Germany and 75 Down and 38 Up (average real value)

Everything automatically adjusts every 4 Hour's via AutoBW 90/90.

Last edited: