What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS-Merlin v2.1.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello guys, sorry to bother, but the overhead calculation is well over my head since i basically forgot everything about packet sizes and so on. Can you help me finding the right values for overhead and mpu for a vdsl bridged ptm connection with vlan tagging, considering that the router wan is connected to the modem through ethernet?

This isn't a science.

Just use less than the maximum of the speeds you pay for. Adjust a couple of times in the next few days and settle on the one that gives you the best overall performance for your use.

Start at ~90% of the paid-for speeds and work down.

This isn't a science.

Just use less than the maximum of the speeds you pay for. Adjust a couple of times in the next few days and settle on the one that gives you the best overall performance for your use.

Start at ~90% of the paid-for speeds and work down.
Thanks but I'm talking about the overhead, not the bandwidth.

So am I.

Thanks but I'm talking about the overhead, not the bandwidth.
I know if you choose "ethernet" from the dropdown as overhead the MPU automatically changes to 84 similar to "cable" it automatically changes to 64. However for your setup im not sure what the correct overhead/MPU is, however you sld be able to leave this as default and as L&LD mentioned using the approx. 85-90% (good starting point) of tested/paid speeds for upload/download is more important!

Maybe check here:

Last edited:
Anyone here running CakeQoS addon script(v2.1.2) with HND5.04 routers? I noticed once installed, my WiFI on some devices randomly drops? Initially the only changed I made was to filtered ack packets on the upload side. Once I started noticing the WiFi drops. I then disabled ack filtering and running the script with default settings but the disconnections continued.

Once I uninstall the script, all runs normal again with built-in CAKE being used & no more WiFi drops.

Has anyone noticed or had this issue with this newer AX routers?

Anyone here running CakeQoS addon script(v2.1.2) with HND5.04 routers? I noticed once installed, my WiFI on some devices randomly drops? Initially the only changed I made was to filtered ack packets on the upload side. Once I started noticing the WiFi drops. I then disabled ack filtering and running the script with default settings but the disconnections continued.

Once I uninstall the script, all runs normal again with built-in CAKE being used & no more WiFi drops.

Has anyone noticed or had this issue with this newer AX routers?
Try enabling the script again. The code is built in to the router. I don't have this issue. I also recommend leaving ACK filtering off as it's not going to do anything for you except on a super slow link.

@Morris

Thanks for the reply.

I did run it with ACK filtering off and no other changes but I was still havin WiFi drops.

When you make any changes to the script do you reboot after? The only change I plan on doing is to change the priority queue from diffserv3 to besteffort on upload side.

I'll try to enable the script. Glad to see you're not having any issues with it. Are you running latest stable or beta?

Thanks again!

@Morris

Thanks for the reply.

I did run it with ACK filtering off and no other changes but I was still havin WiFi drops.

When you make any changes to the script do you reboot after? The only change I plan on doing is to change the priority queue from diffserv3 to besteffort on upload side.

I'll try to enable the script. Glad to see you're not having any issues with it. Are you running latest stable or beta?

Thanks again!
I'm running latest stable. My son works from home so I have to provide a stable environment. I think that when you make a change it resets appropriate things. Check your log.

Using besteffort in both directions should be the default as it's the theme of CAKE and works great.

Good luck resolving this.

Beta 2.20 available on develop branch!

This has the initial groundwork for ipset-based classification for upload and download traffic. How you populate the ipsets is up to you, but I expect most of us to use dnsmasq functionality.

Example /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add (just created for my testing, not exhaustive or meant to be your starting point):
Code:
ipset=/googlevideo.com/nflxvideo.net/aiv-cdn.net/r.cloudfront.net/aiv-delivery.net/video_4,video_6
ipset=/zoom.us/skype.com/voice_4,voice_6
ipset=/backblaze.com/backblazeb2.com/bulk_4,bulk_6
ipset=/ms-acdc.office.com/windowsupdate.com/update.microsoft.com/bulk_4,bulk_6
ipset=/onedrive.com/1drv.ms/1drv.com/bulk_4,bulk_6
The ipset names that CakeQOS-Merlin creates depend on which prioritization scheme you use:
  • besteffort: (none created)
  • diffserv3: bulk_4, besteffort_4, voice_4 (optionally bulk_6, besteffort_6, voice_6 if IPv6 enabled)
  • diffserv4: bulk_4, besteffort_4, video_4, voice_4 (optionally bulk_6, besteffort_6, video_6, voice_6 if IPv6 enabled)
  • diffserv8: tin0_4, tin1_4, tin2_4, ... tin7_4 (and IPv6 equivalents)
There is no user interface for this, at least for now. I'm not certain yet that I want to take on the responsibility to manage dnsmasq options in CakeQOS-Merlin. But it's pretty darn easy to setup yourself, thanks to the dnsmasq.conf customizations available in Merlin.

The hardest part may be to find and isolate which domain names you really need to track via the ipset. For example, youtube.com won't give you what you really want (i.e. googlevideo.com), so I strongly suggest using Diversion with logging enabled to look for the domains of interest.

Interested users can switch to the develop branch by re-running the installer for that branch:
Code:
mkdir -p /jffs/addons/cake-qos && /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/develop/cake-qos.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos && sh /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos install

Troubleshooting / Debugging:
Please report issues and include the outputs of these commands:
Code:
ipset list -n
iptables -t mangle -S CakeQOS-Merlin
ip6tables -t mangle -S CakeQOS-Merlin
tc -s filter show dev ifb4eth0
tc -s qdisc show dev eth0
tc -s qdisc show dev ifb4eth0
grep ^ipset= /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add

@dave14305

I know this was initially created for ipset based classifications testing but just wondering if 2.20 Beta will stay as Beta due to lack of interest? Thank you for all you do!!!

I know this was initially created for ipset based classifications testing but just wondering if 2.20 Beta will stay as Beta due to lack of interest?
There’s not much interest these days. Officially, it isn’t my project to say what happens with it. Unofficially, this code for ipsets really needs a GUI to make sense as an Addon. Yet there’s not enough settings space in the API to allow hefty domain lists. Need a CLI guru to build a menu system again, perhaps.

There’s not much interest these days. Officially, it isn’t my project to say what happens with it. Unofficially, this code for ipsets really needs a GUI to make sense as an Addon. Yet there’s not enough settings space in the API to allow hefty domain lists. Need a CLI guru to build a menu system again, perhaps.
Well don't sell yourself short though. The fact you tried to spark those ideas still counts for something.

Anyone know what would be the process to request CAKEQOS-MERLIN v2.1.2 add-on script be added to amtm?

@thelonelycoder would know. ;)

He has his standards of what a possibly included script would require.

Including whether it is important/popular enough to be included in the first place.

And whether the script writer is willing to adapt their script to that.

@thelonelycoder would know. ;)

He has his standards of what a possibly included script would require.

Including whether it is important/popular enough to be included in the first place.

And whether the script writer is willing to adapt their script to that.

Thanks for the reply back...yeah i dont see much interest for making it to amtm soon....maybe sometime in the near future!!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!