What's new

CakeQoS Priority Queue Parameters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SilentStorm

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone,

I would like to know how the different types of priority queue parameters work... I'm looking for the best option in terms of gaming. In terms of what's listed on the manual (https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html#OVERHEAD_COMPENSATION_PARAMETERS), it's nothing but confusion.

I'm just looking to experiment to see what provides the best latency for me. Anything I should know about each one before I proceed?

Hello everyone,

I would like to know how the different types of priority queue parameters work... I'm looking for the best option in terms of gaming. In terms of what's listed on the manual (https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-cake.8.html#OVERHEAD_COMPENSATION_PARAMETERS), it's nothing but confusion.

I'm just looking to experiment to see what provides the best latency for me. Anything I should know about each one before I proceed?
I think you're getting too far ahead of yourself. Keep cake simple, setup simple at 1st and test for few days before you start getting too deep in the weeds which may become very confusing and stressful, however the best latency for your specific environment will come from alot of trial and error from experimenting. Don't make too many changes until you at least try the simple settings. It might be all you really need.

I think you're getting too far ahead of yourself. Keep cake simple, setup simple at 1st and test for few days before you start getting too deep in the weeds which may become very confusing and stressful, however the best latency for your specific environment will come from alot of trial and error from experimenting. Don't make too many changes until you at least try the simple settings. It might be all really need.
I should perhaps expand into detail as to what the issue is.

There's a game called Call of Duty Warzone that I play, and I'm currently experiencing an issue of Packet Burst. This is supposedly due to network congestion.

Several people I've spoken to resolved this with QoS settings, one has a NetDuma router and this fixed it for him, it seems like everyone's situation is different.

That's why I'm trying to test things to see if anything helps it or makes it worse. One thing I noticed is setting my overhead to DOCSIS actually makes it worse.

Sorry, I should've been clearer with my goal from the beginning.

I should perhaps expand into detail as to what the issue is.

There's a game called Call of Duty Warzone that I play, and I'm currently experiencing an issue of Packet Burst. This is supposedly due to network congestion.

Several people I've spoken to resolved this with QoS settings, one has a NetDuma router and this fixed it for him, it seems like everyone's situation is different.

That's why I'm trying to test things to see if anything helps it or makes it worse. One thing I noticed is setting my overhead to DOCSIS actually makes it worse.

Sorry, I should've been clearer with my goal from the beginning.
I see... you may try cake with the extra options blank. Don't set anything and try yiur specific game.

Is cake doesn't work, Uninstaller it, and another option you may try is FlexQoS, which you can download thru amtm. Here you can create a gaming rule and assign specific IPs for gaming devices.

I see... you may try cake with the extra options blank. Don't set anything and try yiur specific game.

Is cake doesn't work, Uninstaller it, and another option you may try is FlexQoS, which you can download thru amtm. Here you can create a gaming rule and assign specific IPs for gaming devices.
Any tutorials on how to set up gaming rules?

Apologies again for the many questions. This is all new to me. It's a learning experience too.

And I suppose CakeQoS is the install and leave it sort of thing, and Flex is the customizable one?

Any tutorials on how to set up gaming rules?

Apologies again for the many questions. This is all new to me. It's a learning experience too.
1st uninstall cake.

Go to router,, and turn on Adaptive QoS.

Ssh into router and type amtm, install FlexQoS (option 3).

Let me know when this is done. Then we'll create a gaming rule.

1st uninstall cake.

Go to router,, and turn on Adaptive QoS.

Ssh into router and type amtm, install FlexQoS (option 3).

Let me know when this is done. Then we'll create a gaming rule.
Sounds good.

I actually just got off my computer and was about to head to bed. Is it fine if we do this tomorrow?

What would be a good time to talk again? I'm in Eastern time zone. It's currently just past 11 PM here.

Sounds good.

I actually just got off my computer and was about to head to bed. Is it fine if we do this tomorrow?

What would be a good time to talk again? I'm in Eastern time zone. It's currently just past 11 PM here.
No problem, just reply here when you're done with the 1st part. You'll be a pro here before you know it.

No problem, just reply here when you're done with the 1st part. You'll be a pro here before you know it.
Thanks so much! I greatly appreciate your help.

Hey @Kingp1n

Hope you're doing well today. Just went in an uninstall CakeQoS. I've also went through amtm and installed FlexQoS.

1613077590944.png

Also, just to give you an idea of the basic bufferbloat test with FlexQoS.

Download seems excellent, uploading seems to be a bit of an issue. I've done a few of these tests and they seem to be consistent. It seems to be consistent in the 80-90 ms for upload.

Hey @Kingp1n

Hope you're doing well today. Just went in an uninstall CakeQoS. I've also went through amtm and installed FlexQoS.

It's great to see you're having great success with default settings. You may try it out this way and do some online gaming without the gaming rule and see if you see any difference with Flex enabled. Some folks keep it at default with great results and improvement.

You can always create the gaming rule and remove it as well. In case you would like to try it out:

The gaming device you're using, go ahead and assign a static IP address, if it doesn't have one yet.

If you have multiple gaming devices, I recommend you use the online IP CIDR website to identify a range for these devices. For example, if you have 4 gaming devices, assign the 1st static IP address as follow below:

1st device: 192.168.1.100
2nd device: 192.168.1.101
3rd device: 192.168.1.102
4th device: 192.168.1.103

Now we can create a gaming rule for these devices using FlexQoS under the Flex tab inside Adaptive QoS as 192.168.1.100/30 (the /30 mask bit will cover all the devices you need so you only need to create 1 rule) that will go inside the Local IP/CIDR. Follow the additional instructions provided in the older Flex thread:

• Gaming rule is now like any other rule (Local IP/CIDR + Proto Both + RPort !80,443 + Mask 000000 = Class Gaming)

Last edited:
It's great to see you're having great success with default settings. You may try it out this way and do some gaming without the gaming rule. Some folks keep it at default with great results and improvement.

You can always create the gaming rule and remove it as well. In case you would like to try it out:

The gaming device you're using, go ahead and assign a static IP address, if it doesn't have one yet.

If you have multiple gaming devices, I recommend you use the online IP CIDR website to identify a range for these devices. For example, if you have 4 gaming devices, assign the 1st static IP address as follow below:

1st device: 192.168.1.100
2nd device: 192.168.1.101
3rd device: 192.168.1.102
4th device: 192.168.1.103

Now we can create a gaming rule for these devices using FlexQoS under the Flex tab inside Adaptive QoS as 192.168.1.100/30 (the /30 mask bit will cover all the devices you need so you only need to create 1 rule) that will go inside the Local IP/CIDR. Follow the additional instructions provided in the older Flex thread:

• Gaming rule is now like any other rule (Local IP/CIDR + Proto Both + RPort !80,443 + Mask 000000 = Class Gaming)
1613078360819.png

Appreciate your reply.

The router pool it's selecting from is 192.168.50.2-254, is that fine?

I've went into LAN > DHCP Server and assigned my computer as 192.168.50.100 and my PlayStation is 192.168.50.101

I've went into FlexQoS and put that. Is this correct?

View attachment 30648

Appreciate your reply.

The router pool it's selecting from is 192.168.50.2-254, is that fine?

I've went into LAN > DHCP Server and assigned my computer as 192.168.50.100 and my PlayStation is 192.168.50.101

I've went into FlexQoS and put that. Is this correct?
Yes, just changed it to whatever you're using so, you would input under local IP/CIDR: 192.168.50.100/30 versus my example. It will cover the range specified. If in the future you get another gaming device, you may assign a static IP address of 192.168.50.102 and so forth so it falls inside the gaming rule IP range.

Your gaming rule is now created. Go ahead and do some online gaming and see if you're still having any issues.

Yes, just changed it to whatever you're using so, you would input under local IP/CIDR: 192.168.50.100/30 versus my example. It will to cover the range specified. If in the future you get another gaming device, you assign a static IP address of 192.168.50.102 and so forth.

Your gaming rule is now created. Go ahead and do some online gaming and see if you're still having any issues.
Perfect. Appreciate your help again.

Is there anything I can do to improve the bufferbloat for the upload speeds?

Perfect. Appreciate your help again.

Is there anything I can do to improve the bufferbloat for the upload speeds?

It depends on your ISP but you can start on upgrading the modem, if applicable. There were some modems in the past that had a bad chipset (Puma 6). I'm not sure what modem you have and/or you can also contact your ISP to send a technician to run some troubleshooting on your lines. However you will need to call your ISP to see what modems are compatible with your speeds and if they will charge you to send a tech for some troubleshooting. Maybe some one else can provide additional support on improving latency. Best of luck!!!

Before I forget, also try Fq_codel inside the Flex tab. This also helps with latency and it's a new implementation @dave14305 added in the recent update!

It depends on your ISP but you can start on upgrading the modem, if applicable. There were some modems in the past that had a bad chipset (Puma 6). I'm not sure what modem you have and/or you can also contact your ISP to send a technician to run some troubleshooting on your lines. However you will need to call your ISP to see what modems are compatible with your speeds and if they will charge you to send a tech for some troubleshooting. Maybe some one else can provide additional support on improving latency. Best of luck!!!

Before I forget, also try Fq_codel inside the Flex tab. This also helps with latency and it's a new implementation @dave14305 added in the recent update!
I have an Arris XB6 gateway. I did hear a few things about this Puma 6 chipset, but I'm not sure if my gateway has it. Tried searching it up but couldn't find an answer. But I do believe it's a Puma 7.

They did just release a new one (3rd generation), it's WiFi 6 and all that. Problem is, I only have 1 device in this house that supports WiFi 6, so I didn't think it was worth the upgrade. The Arris Xb6 and whatever the newer one is called are the only two compatible gateways for me that my ISP would allow (Rogers Canada). I know they did say they're going to bring Fibre To The Home here soon so pretty much going to have to wait till then unless someone else has another way of troubleshooting it.

I've also just went in game and can confirm the packet burst is gone! I can tell pretty quick because the icon pops up immediately once I'm in, so once again, I appreciate your help!

I have an Arris XB6 gateway. I did hear a few things about this Puma 6 chipset, but I'm not sure if my gateway has it. Tried searching it up but couldn't find an answer. But I do believe it's a Puma 7.

They did just release a new one (3rd generation), it's WiFi 6 and all that. Problem is, I only have 1 device in this house that supports WiFi 6, so I didn't think it was worth the upgrade. The Arris Xb6 and whatever the newer one is called are the only two compatible gateways for me that my ISP would allow (Rogers Canada). I know they did say they're going to bring Fibre To The Home here soon so pretty much going to have to wait till then unless someone else has another way of troubleshooting it.

I've also just went in game and can confirm the packet burst is gone! I can tell pretty quick because the icon pops up immediately once I'm in, so once again, I appreciate your help!
That's great to hear. Keep testing the online gaming but I think you're good until they update your lines. Also, try fq_codel inside Flex and apply it. This will also improve lag. Glad all is working out for you!