What's new

CakeQOS Settings for AC86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StavrosWTF

Occasional Visitor
Hello guys.
So I was interested in using CakeQOS for my bad connection (50D/5U) with 2-3% packet loss and high bufferbloat.
So I wanted to know if somebody can point me to any useful guides on how I could setup CakeQOS on my Ac86u and find the best settings possible for my specific occasion.

You don't need any special settings.

- select QoS Type - Cake
- select corresponding to your connection WAN overhead type (or leave at default)
- select Manual Bandwidth
- enter Upload/Download values (start with what speedtest shows most of the time, adjust later if needed)

You don't need any special settings.

- select QoS Type - Cake
- select corresponding to your connection WAN overhead type (or leave at default)
- select Manual Bandwidth
- enter Upload/Download values (start with what speedtest shows most of the time, adjust later if needed)
Why not just leave "Bandwidth Setting" at "Automatic Setting"?

Because manual works better with more consistent results. This applies for Adaptive QoS as well... when it works. In most cases Bandwidth Limiter is all that is needed. If the ISP line is below saturation there is no bufferbloat. If the xDSL line is bad - QoS won't fix it. The best QoS is better ISP.

Any source for this?

If anything, I would assume Automatic should work better on an oversubscribed ISP line as it can adapt to the changes in real-throughput.

The documentation does not mention that Manual setting works better ( in which case, why include "Automatic" in the first place?).

Why "Automatic" should work worse on a line with stable throughput I don't see how it would make any sense. Does anybody know how this setting actually works/what&how it does?

No, if your link is oversubscribed then automatic will not be able to figure out the available bandwidth. You are free to go haywire and experiment or learn from others that have been down the path. Now you must consider that if you are dealing with bandwidth hogs QOS can do wonders yet if the link is oversubscribed for the necessary applications then you must provision more bandwidth.

Any source for this?

Tests and experience. Automatic means no bandwidth limits. Adjusting upload/download limits manually and below 100% CPU load works best. On AC86U that means below 300Mbps. For faster ISP lines Cake (the CPU) will limit WAN-LAN throughput. Cake is incompatible with Runner/Flow Cache.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!