What's new

Call For IT Case Studies

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
SmallNetBuilder and our advertising partner NetShelter are participating in a Microsoft-sponsored program aimed at getting IT professionals to become better acquainted with Microsoft's business-focused products and services. (Yes, SNB is being compensated for our participation.)

The program will include a website (to launch shortly) where people will be able to submit real business-oriented problems and get advice and help from SmallNetBuilder, other IT-focused sites in the NetShelter network and Microsoft tech experts.

To get things rolling, however, we're looking for a few case studies. Here's an example so that you can see what we're after: (The case has been edited, but is a real example.)

- Case Example -

Title: How can I provide an ounce of prevention when I can't get to a client's laptops?

Submitted by: Tony Moraros, owner, TonyTheComputerGuy.com, San Mateo, CA

The Background: I own a small IT consulting and services company, with several local, small businesses as my clients. One of them is an eight-employee branch office of a PR firm in San Francisco.

The Challenge: Everyone at the PR firm uses laptops. These are PR folks, and they live on their computers. When they're in the office, they're working on the laptops. When they're out of the office, they have the laptops with them. If you take their computer away, they're dead in the water.

So the thing I'm wrestling with is, how do I maintain their laptops if I have at most minimal access to their systems? The client suffers because the only time I can work on the computer is when the computers aren't working. The only time I can maintain their system is when it fails, which isn't really in their best interest either.

Can anyone point me to procedures, processes, or tools that would make it less disruptive, let alone possible, for me to obtain access to these systems to monitor and maintain them? I actually have a trial version of one remote management tool from a company called Kaseya But it's so heavy duty I don't think I have enough knowledge to use it properly.

- Case Example end -

Ideally, we'd like people to identify themselves. But we can also accommodate some degree of anonymity. The submitter in the case above could have identified himself as "Tony, San Mateo, CA"

What you get out of it should be real, detailed advice from business IT experts, including folks from among Microsoft's top tech experts.

So if you're interested, please send your submission directly to 360IT@netshelter.net. Or if you'd rather, you can PM me and I'll forward it on.

Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!