What's new

Call for recommendations of Merlin's software for RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michael Clifford

Occasional Visitor
I've had this router for several years now, running 376.47 Merlin, with no problems. However, transmission from the equipment room on the 3rd floor to the first is barely adequate. Tx power is set at 100%.

I'd like to upgrade and have been monitoring this forum regularly. I'd like to pose a question to other N66 owners: Which recent Merlin version is the most trouble free?

There are two other concerns. First, occasional visitors use their VPN client enabled laptops to communicate with their companies during their stays. This must continue to work.

Secondly, we are scheduled to receive Google Fiber in the next year. I'm not sure if the N66 may or should be an adjunct to the cheesy access unit that Google provides, but it is a consideration.

There's nothing fancy being serviced (USB or media server).

Please advise. Thanks in advance and thank you Merlin for all your hard work.

mjclifford

I run the latest Merlin firmware on the N66U (see footer: only in AP-Mode - but still) and it works like a charm - also all other updates since .47 worked well for me.
Due to security updates and other fixed bugs, I would always go for the latest available version of the firmware.

Other claim that John's fork of the .43 version is working better in respect of wireless performance, but I cannot comment as I am not using it - my two router solution covers the wireless needs perfectly.

Last edited: