1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Can a device on the guest wifi see the router's SMB share?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by JaimeZX, May 24, 2019.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Senior Member

I can obviously ping the gateway from any device, but regardless of whether I turn on "guest" access to the share (or use username/pw), or try it with FTP, I don't seem to be able to make any device on the guest SSIDs see the SMB share. Am I missing anything here? :)

2. FreshJR

FreshJR Very Senior Member

I would hope it’s isolated from the SMB share if you have the guest network isolated.

Test and find out.

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Senior Member

Well I haven't been able to make it work so far. Trying to figure out how I can make one folder in the Share viewable (read-only) to any device. Thoughts?

4. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

As @FreshJR pointed out, this is the way it's meant to work if you have disabled intranet access for the guest network (the Samba shares are on the intranet).

5. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Senior Member

Ha! That was it! Cool. I don't USUALLY want guest devices to have access... but sometimes...