What's new

Can a router be too slow to handle a fast enough Cable internet connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maximilian

New Around Here
So I have Virgin Media 350mbps cable internet. And when using the Virgin provided Hitron router I can get 350-400mbps down. However kicking it into modem mode and connecting it to my TP Link Archer C7v5 so I can use the C7 as a router results in a maximum of ~200mbps down.

Could the TP link be too slow or something? This is all wired CAT6 cable btw, no wireless comes into the equation.

However kicking it into modem mode and connecting it to my TP Link Archer C7v5 so I can use the C7 as a router results in a maximum of ~200mbps down.
I have no personal experience with that router but according to wikidevi there is very little difference between the v5 and the v2. The review of the v2 on SNB says it can do >800Mbps. Looking at posts on the internet it appears to use "hardware NAT" to achieve those speeds, similar to Asus routers. If I disable hardware NAT on my Asus the throughput also drops to ~200Mbps. So look for any "hardware NAT" settings on the router. Things like QoS can disable it.

I have no personal experience with that router but according to wikidevi there is very little difference between the v5 and the v2. The review of the v2 on SNB says it can do >800Mbps. Looking at posts on the internet it appears to use "hardware NAT" to achieve those speeds, similar to Asus routers. If I disable hardware NAT on my Asus the throughput also drops to ~200Mbps. So look for any "hardware NAT" settings on the router. Things like QoS can disable it.

Ah awesome, thanks! Yeah I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I've got openwrt on it and it looks like theres no option for hardware NAT yet... at least not through the most recent stable version. Looks like it's being worked on.

I tried the Hitron router alone and get 350-380 mbps, my venerable WNDR3700 gets 170-180 mbps and Archer C7 gets 200-210 mbps. I guess i'll just stick with the Hitron alone for now until openwrt supports hardware NAT, at least I know what im looking for now :)

Or, you could employ a router with a powerful-enough CPU to run everything in-software, and not have to be concerned with hardware-accelerated offload at all... I'm of course referring to x86 (embedded Qotom or old SFF PC w/ Intel multi-NIC), 1Ghz+ MIPS (Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4/6/12) or aggregated multi-core Tile (MikroTik CCR). For OpenWRT in particular, an x86 box would likely be best; you could then run whatever packages you want while still get near line rate, or better.

Just a thought, if you wanted to step things up a bit. ;)