What's new

Can a Switch or Hub be connected directly to the Internet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Almighty_Denny

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone.

I'm more or less a beginner at installing networks, so I got a few questions (and perhaps misunderstandings here and there).

I understand that a Router is a device that can connect multiple networks between them, so I find no problem understanding how it can make the nodes from the local network to interact with Internet.

But how does this works with a Hub and Switch, that are a bit more straightforward and simple compared to a Router?

What would happen if I connect a couple of computers on some of the Ethernet ports AND the modem directly to another one of the Ethernet ports on a Hub or Switch?
Would the local computer get access to the Internet in this way? Can a Modem communicate and bring Internet access to any of the computers connected to the Hub/Switch? :confused:

Hi everyone.

I'm more or less a beginner at installing networks, so I got a few questions (and perhaps misunderstandings here and there).

I understand that a Router is a device that can connect multiple networks between them, so I find no problem understanding how it can make the nodes from the local network to interact with Internet.

But how does this works with a Hub and Switch, that are a bit more straightforward and simple compared to a Router?

What would happen if I connect a couple of computers on some of the Ethernet ports AND the modem directly to another one of the Ethernet ports on a Hub or Switch?
Would the local computer get access to the Internet in this way? Can a Modem communicate and bring Internet access to any of the computers connected to the Hub/Switch? :confused:

First, a switch does not have a Firewall and all devices connected (including the switch, if it is manageable) will be open to attacks from the internet without any protection at all.

Second, each additional device you connect will require its own public IP to actually use the internet effectively. If the ISP only provides one public IP address, then only one device (or possibly none, depending on how the ISP responds to multiple IP requests) will have internet access.

You can do this with a smart/managed switch and an external Firewall. But a 'dumb' switch is not the best idea to connect to the internet with. :)

Most modems are actually modem/routers. Assuming you're using a stock config on the modem then you may find connecting it to a switch or hub works fine, assuming it is providing DHCP for internal IP addressing.

Most of what you have asked all comes down to the modem hardware and how it's configured and whether it purely a modem. Connecting a modem or modem/router to the wan port of a dedicated router generally means you don't have to know or worry about any of that, as usually you'll either be assigned a private IP or a public IP and be done with it.

Long story short, if it's a modem router that's performing NAT and assigning private IPs (192.168.x.x 10.x.x.x etc) then yes, it can work. You've just got to know your hardware ... Or at least we need to know your hardware to answer appropriately :)

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the answers!

I'm trying to learn how to setup some types of Network, I currently don't physically have neither a Switch or Hub, I only use a TP-Link Router connected through the WAN port to a basic cable Modem (with no Routing capabilites as far as I know), a couple of computers connected directly through the Ehernet ports and many wireless devices.

But I would like to know more about Hubs and Switches as I got a couple of friends that wanted me to help them to setup their Network, and I want to know every option available.

Forget about hubs, they're obsolete. Switches replaced them as a superior technology many years ago.

Routers and switches are two completely different things. In its simplest form a network switch is just a way of adding more Ethernet sockets to your LAN.

Using a switch before your router is mainly used when you rent multiple static IPs from your ISP. You plug a switch into the ISP device which allows multiple routers to get multiple static IPs. Don't run local device off that switch as there is no firewall.