What's new

Can anyone recommend a good basic 'Dos-type' NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Barrykap

New Around Here
Hope someone can help.

I have been using a quantity of old Arkara dual bay NAS drives set up in RAID 1 and used for archiving mainly, but one was used dependantly for my main data which was 'connected' to 4 PC's on my Windows network.

I ONLY used drive-mapping and ONLY wish to use it in the future too.

But two of these units have failed after many years use (including the main store) so I would like to buy a new NAS for my main data store. I can no longer buy Arkara's otherwise I would suffice with a new one of those.

I find the new ones currently available FAR too complex and 'over-engineered' in features for my use. I have no time or inclination to use these sophisticated monsters that seem to want to take control of everything using it's own GUI etc. All I want is a simple Dos-type (drive-mapped in Windows 7/8) so that I can also set up my 'shortcuts' etc to backup from this main NAS to my secondary NAS stores etc. In other words just a simple set-up for drive-mapping from a PC.

My hardware requirements are modest. Just say a twin 4TB setup (2 x 2TB) and not really bothered about speed. But MUST be totally reliable and simple to set up with drive-mapping.

I bought a Synology 216j and after two days fiddling I still can't get it to work properly with my system so am returning it.

I wondered if there was something simpler without all the extravagance. ie I do not want to 'stream' from it or bake pies with it. Just a simple 'central store' for my data files (mainly photo images and video etc).

Hope someone has an idea.

Many thanks.

Barry

Any NAS will support using mapped drives.

Try a WD My Cloud.

This Synology one didn't drive-map. Seemed to not want to know. I'll look at the WD thanks.
Even when you mapped using IP address? That has not been my experience and I have tested a lot of Synology NASes.

Actually this problem no longer exists as i have returned the Synology for a refund. But yes, I was using ip address and it kept saying something like 'check spelling' or windows cannot find the address. Even though I have ten other Nas's running exactly the same way (different IP's of course).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!