What's new

Can ASUS router handle independent IPv4/IPv6 PPPoE with IPv6 multi-prefix and IPv6NAT?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KazFromJapan

New Around Here
Hi,

I have RT-AC3200 and have the following question which is Japan-specific and may not interest most ASUS router users / developers / RMerlin :).

Because Japan has its own IPv6 network (NGN) sitting BETWEEN Internet (both IPv4/IPv6) and end users, unless ISP offers IPv6 IPoE native connection, end users like myself must have a router with following capabilities to access IPv6 Internet;

1. Separate PPPoE connection for IPv6 and IPv4 thus separate username / password entry required
2. DHCPv6-PD
3. Can handle IPv6 multi prefix (one for NGN and another for ISP);
-In addition to the prefix from ISP, receive RA message from NGN to obtain NGN's prefix and send DHCPv6 Information Request to NGN.
-NAT capability so that both Internet and NGN can be reached by end user - packets to/from NGN and packets to/from Internet must be correctly handled
-Ability to refresh prefix(!) when NGN or ISP changes its prefix.

Can ASUS router handle Above?

I know my ISP (OCN, the largest Telecom NTT group ISP) will offer IPv6 IPoE sooner or later so even if above configuration becomes possible with ASUS router, it will be only a temporary, transitional functionality. A few other ISPs offer IPoE, but connection speed / reliability cannot be matched to OCN.

I sincerely hope someone answers to my question.

Kaz

Would that also be called FLET'S IPV6 service? If so, yes!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Would that also be called FLET'S IPV6 service? If so, yes!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

bbunge:

Thanks for reply.

That's what I thought at first because my router has IPv6 option menu that says "FLET'S IPv6 Service".
However, that service is only within NGN - no Internet connection. NGN is totally isolated from Internet, but they call it IPv6 Service because NGN is a IPv6 network. Like so many others, I got confused by this. Internet connection is only available from ISP and therefore, the functionality I listed above is necessary to access IPv6 Internet.

As soon as my ISP starts offering IPoE native connection, IPv6 Passthrough is the only setting I need on my router to access IPv6 Internet.

My guess is I just have to wait for my ISP to offer IPoE...

Kaz

bbunge:

Thanks for reply.

That's what I thought at first because my router has IPv6 option menu that says "FLET'S IPv6 Service".
However, that service is only within NGN - no Internet connection. NGN is totally isolated from Internet, but they call it IPv6 Service because NGN is a IPv6 network. Like so many others, I got confused by this. Internet connection is only available from ISP and therefore, the functionality I listed above is necessary to access IPv6 Internet.

As soon as my ISP starts offering IPoE native connection, IPv6 Passthrough is the only setting I need on my router to access IPv6 Internet.

My guess is I just have to wait for my ISP to offer IPoE...

Kaz
I just figured out that placing another router (such as SEIL/x86 software-based router) that can handle above will do the job, although it is always nice to do all that with just one router - and I really want that router to be Asus. :)

I also found that more Japanese ISPs are now offering DS-Lite (no, it's not a Nintendo console) which is Japanese version of IPv4 over IPv6 service which shall eliminate the PPPoE congestion problems currently seen on both IPv4/IPv6 (because my ISP offers them on PPPoE only) - and the SEIL/x86 mentioned before is officially certified by ISPs offering DS-Lite to support it, so I will do it by myself if my router doesn't support all this.

After all, it is so Japan-specific and won't attract vast majority of the Asus router users.

Sigh..

Kaz

I just figured out that placing another router (such as SEIL/x86 software-based router) that can handle above will do the job, although it is always nice to do all that with just one router - and I really want that router to be Asus. :)

I also found that more Japanese ISPs are now offering DS-Lite (no, it's not a Nintendo console) which is Japanese version of IPv4 over IPv6 service which shall eliminate the PPPoE congestion problems currently seen on both IPv4/IPv6 (because my ISP offers them on PPPoE only) - and the SEIL/x86 mentioned before is officially certified by ISPs offering DS-Lite to support it, so I will do it by myself if my router doesn't support all this.

After all, it is so Japan-specific and won't attract vast majority of the Asus router users.

Sigh..

Kaz

As an update, I chose OpenWRT on my fanless PC to be the primary router and ASUS RT-AC3200 as WIFI and secondary router. Although I had to build the disk image from source code, OpenWRT does provide almost everything a router can do and more, including DS-Lite, NAT6(I had to use this with my configuration / ISP provided IPv6 IPoE native connection), and even a proxy server (squid) and DNS server (BIND, etc) running on the router box. I still like RT-AC3200's strong WIFI connectivity and dual-wan capability with failover/failback, so combination of both routers seems to be the best solution for my situation. I still hope that ASUS implements DS-Lite capabilities into AsusWRT now that I know AsusWRT is like a sibling of OpenWRT and DS-Lite can be easily implemented (at least on my personal DIY router).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!