What's new

Can client names be changed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xanadew

Occasional Visitor
setting up the router and managing it is difficult when you don't recognize client names like 9450-LS-003474

can I change them to reflect peoples names like Daughters Cell etc?

sure just click on each device in the list and a popup window should appear and you can change it there

when I click the popup is this with no option to change it

image.jpg

4j0amtzmf

when I click the popup is this with no option to change it

That screen shot looks like you are running an earlier firmware (or one based on an earlier firmware, like my LTS fork). In that case, you can rename it by specifying a manually assigned IP/name on the LAN > DHCP Server page. Since these are DHCP names, don't use things like special characters or spaces in the name.

Release/renew the DCHP lease on the client for it to take effect.

edit: figured it out, thanks john
What did you find out, Xanadew?

I'm having the same problem on my ASUS RT-AC3100. When I click on the client name, I can change it, but after I go off of the name, it changes back.

What did you find out, Xanadew?

I'm having the same problem on my ASUS RT-AC3100. When I click on the client name, I can change it, but after I go off of the name, it changes back.
Same.
I can manually change the name of my printer's IP address innocuous name to "Printer" in the LAN>DHCP Server page but when I go to the Client List on the Network Map main page - it does not display "PRINTER."

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!