What's new

Can I block fanhattan.com?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RocketJSquirrel

I get dozens of these messages in my AC68U router log every day. I don't really understand what they mean. Is there a router setting I can apply to block this entire domain or at least these sites from screwing with my DNS?

Dec 20 00:45:10 dnsmasq[206]: possible DNS-rebind attack detected: www.serv-wwwm-dev.fanhattan.com
Dec 20 00:45:11 dnsmasq[206]: possible DNS-rebind attack detected: serv-wwwm-dev.fanhattan.com
Dec 20 00:51:25 dnsmasq[206]: possible DNS-rebind attack detected: serv-www-dev.fanhattan.com
Dec 20 00:51:25 dnsmasq[206]: possible DNS-rebind attack detected: www.serv-www-dev.fanhattan.com

If you're using a router based ad-blocker like Diversion then just add those two addresses to its blacklist.

Not running any add-ons, just plain ol' Merlin. So an add-on like an ad-blocker is required for this?

Not running any add-ons, just plain ol' Merlin. So an add-on like an ad-blocker is required for this?
It's not required, it's just one way of suppressing those messages. The messages themselves aren't a problem, it's just dnsmasq telling you that it's blocked those domains because they return bogus addresses.

If you still want to suppress those messages you could create a /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file that contains the following line (you also need to enable support for custom configs in the router's GUI):
Code:
address=/serv-wwwm-dev.fanhattan.com/serv-www-dev.fanhattan.com/

EDIT: corrected statement, see post #8

Last edited:
I found the same thing with timeline-sync.getpebble.com, since they shut down the services they just pointed the address to 0.0.0.0. Easiest way to get rid of the warning messages is to manually set the address using /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add.

In your case you'd want to add the line
Code:
address=/serv-wwwm-dev.fanhattan.com/serv-www-dev.fanhattan.com/#

The # is just a shortcut for both 0.0.0.0 and ::1.

@Dabombber I think you've made a typo in your dnsmasq statement. I assume you intended for one of the domains to be the one that begins with www? In this particular case it can be omitted because www is a host of the parent domain.

The difference between my post and yours is that mine returns NXDOMAIN instead of a valid address.

Last edited:
From the logs it looks like there's 2 subdomains of fanhattan.com, serv-wwwm-dev and serv-www-dev. Using nxdomain instead of 0.0.0.0/::1 seems like a more intuitive solution but can cause longer load times and/or break some things entirely.

Thanks, guys. The new entry in dnsmasq.conf.add seems to have done the trick. No log messages about fanhattan.com since I added it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!