What's new

Can I configure my WAN IP address in a different subnet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eightace

Occasional Visitor
I am try to set up my DSL modem and to access it from my Asus RT AC-5300 via the WAN connection I need to change some LAN settings as per below:

"In your router, configure the WAN interface with a private (RFC1918) address in a different subnet to your main LAN. e.g. if your main LAN is 192.168.1.0/24 then configure the WAN interface with the address 192.168.2.1/24"

I am not sure where this is done - my Subnet is 10.0.0.0/24 so do I just change my router's IP address to 10.0.1.0/24?

I think I probably don't but I can't see anywhere to change the internal IP address of the WAN.

I am try to set up my DSL modem and to access it from my Asus RT AC-5300 via the WAN connection I need to change some LAN settings as per below:

"In your router, configure the WAN interface with a private (RFC1918) address in a different subnet to your main LAN. e.g. if your main LAN is 192.168.1.0/24 then configure the WAN interface with the address 192.168.2.1/24"

I am not sure where this is done - my Subnet is 10.0.0.0/24 so do I just change my router's IP address to 10.0.1.0/24?

I think I probably don't but I can't see anywhere to change the internal IP address of the WAN.

Maybe it would be easier to set the static IP on the network adapter of a PC and then wire the PC directly to the DSL modem for temporary administration. Leave the router/network intact.

OE

Are you quoting this wiki page? Knowing what type of DSL modem you're using and whether you're quoting a credible source would have been helpful.

The WAN IP address can be changed by going to WAN > Internet Connection and setting WAN Connection Type = Static IP.

Are you quoting this wiki page? Knowing what type of DSL modem you're using and whether you're quoting a credible source would have been helpful.

The WAN IP address can be changed by going to WAN > Internet Connection and setting WAN Connection Type = Static IP.

Thanks - yes quoting that page. I need to have the WAN connection as PPPoE to input my login details so cannot set it as Static IP.

I need to have the WAN connection as PPPoE to input my login details so cannot set it as Static IP.
Then you can't use that method. I suggest you use the first option on that wiki page. Alternatively you might be able to write a script if you're using Merlin's firmware.

AFAIK modem in bridge mode wont give you any IP, there is no routing done on it and WAN of router will get public IP from ISP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!