What's new

Can I do this with Synology DS218+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tgo

New Around Here
Currently I'm using a spare drive on my main PC to store my multimedia on, then using my phone + various chromecast connected TV's to send media to said TV

This does work but I'm using a fair bit of space on my PC which I could do with shunting off.

Additionally I currently back up my Data (including said multimedia to an external USB 3.0 drive in case of loss of data on my PC, I also periodically swap out that USB drive with another for offsite storage.

Again, it works but is a bit of a drag, plus USB 3.0 external drives are not known for their reliability/ longevity.

What I'd like to do is get a Synology DS218+ and transfer all backup data (incl Multimedia) to it and use it as media server. I'd have the two drive bays configured as RAID 1
Presumably I can use software tools to access the files as I do now via mobile or from one of the PC's on the network

My understanding is that the Synology supports hot or warm swap of drives, so I'd get a spare drive identical in spec and size as the ones inside and as the drive contents in the device should be identical, yank one and remove to offsite storage and replace with the spare (which will propagate with what's on the other drive?) and repeat periodically (hopefully it'll update with the new data and not the old from the swapped over drive)

Is this possible to do using this device?

Last edited: