What's new

Can I enter my monthly traffic max in the traffic stats?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AppleBag

Regular Contributor
When looking at the traffic stats, is there some way to enter how much monthly total traffic is allotted? For example on this screen:

1669478409084.png

I use Comcast / Xfinity and they have that uber lame traffic limit of 1.2TB before they start charging you up the wazoo, and it would be useful to be able to see the data on the router to be able to compare with their claims of usage, as well as just to let me know when I need to basically stop using the internet until the next month.

in the router's web interface, under General, go to Traffic Analyzer and choose Monthly.
It looks like I did 4TB+ in March of 2021 (!!!!)

you're looking to prevent overage fees from your ISP, it seems. I'm not certain anything exists to prevent that, other than a change in your package...I've a slower connection with mine, but unlimited bandwidth. maybe you can do the same thing with your ISP

I'd like to be able to enter my max amount allowed of 1.2TB, and the Used Percentage show what percentage of that 1.2TB has been used.

I'm also wondering if it's possible to either constantly share my regular internet data with a permanently setup wifi hotspot (my phone has unlimited data plan) so that the routher either auto-load balances between them, or just be able to easily switch the router to use all data from one, and then when I'm getting close to the 1.2TB switch it to only use my wifi hotspot?

Comcast texts me when I hit 75%, then 90%, then 100% of the cap. I have the opportunity to pay for unlimited bandwidth ($30 / month) and it becomes effective immediately, so there's no overage.

It was easier for me to justify just paying the extra fee for unlimited than it was to fight with my family and tell them to watch their consumption... We are easily over the 2.5TB/mo mark at this point according to vnStat... with multiple kids online all day long, and with the TV streaming 4K shows and whatnot...

So yeah, @AppleBag... that's another great tool at your disposal... open AMTM, and install the vnStat tool... it gives you a graphical breakdown of your consumption day by day/week/month/year through the Asus-Merlin UI...

It was easier for me to justify just paying the extra fee for unlimited than it was to fight with my family and tell them to watch their consumption... We are easily over the 2.5TB/mo mark at this point according to vnStat... with multiple kids online all day long, and with the TV streaming 4K shows and whatnot...

So yeah, @AppleBag... that's another great tool at your disposal... open AMTM, and install the vnStat tool... it gives you a graphical breakdown of your consumption day by day/week/month/year through the Asus-Merlin UI...

Thank you for the recommendation, I will definitely install it and check it out.

I'm tempted to go that route and pay the extra for unlimited, but there are only 3 of us here and we usually don't go over (though we usually come real close) so it'd be nice to save another 30 a month bill added on. Plus, Xfinity obviously crunched all the numbers and set the bar at just the right point where they would get the extra money while giving "just enough" data to seem "nice", lol, so I'm kinda wanting to not let them win out of principle! LOL

Thank you for the recommendation, I will definitely install it and check it out.

I'm tempted to go that route and pay the extra for unlimited, but there are only 3 of us here and we usually don't go over (though we usually come real close) so it'd be nice to save another 30 a month bill added on. Plus, Xfinity obviously crunched all the numbers and set the bar at just the right point where they would get the extra money while giving "just enough" data to seem "nice", lol, so I'm kinda wanting to not let them win out of principle! LOL
I was sick and tired paying $10/50G overages... I ended up saving money in the long run, and much less stressed out not having to worry about this or keep checking in on my family's usage or on our bandwidth allotment. Lol. The overage fees are ridiculous. I hope it works out for you... Let us know if vnStat does the trick for you! :)

I was sick and tired paying $10/50G overages... I ended up saving money in the long run, and much less stressed out not having to worry about this or keep checking in on my family's usage or on our bandwidth allotment. Lol. The overage fees are ridiculous. I hope it works out for you... Let us know if vnStat does the trick for you! :)

I'm about to be charged at least $90 over for November .... :mad: Just regular ol usage. Not sharing torrents, or other things that they allegedly created a limit for, to prevent "hogs".

One question if you happen to know; when looking at the usage graph, does it only show internet usage? Or is it showing both internet AND local LAN traffic?

1669865163680.png

i.e. if I fell asleep watching videos on my Plex, and the videos get streamed over LAN from one PC to my Roku ... is that included in the "traffic"? I'm trying to find a way to discern how much internet data vs. local data.

I'm about to be charged at least $90 over for November .... :mad: Just regular ol usage. Not sharing torrents, or other things that they allegedly created a limit for, to prevent "hogs".
That right there would be enough to cover you for 3 months of unlimited traffic. Dang, that's a big hit. ;(

One question if you happen to know; when looking at the usage graph, does it only show internet usage? Or is it showing both internet AND local LAN traffic?

i.e. if I fell asleep watching videos on my Plex, and the videos get streamed over LAN from one PC to my Roku ... is that included in the "traffic"? I'm trying to find a way to discern how much internet data vs. local data.
I have a feeling that this graph would show all traffic? I might be wrong though. You might be able to test this out by copying a large file between 2 local devices and seeing if that causes any major spikes in this graph?

I hope it would only show 'routed' traffic. Local LAN traffic should be excluded.

I hope it would only show 'routed' traffic. Local LAN traffic should be excluded.
After thinking it through, I'm sure you're correct, @L&LD :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!