What's new

Can I forward a port from VPN to an internal device?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

S

sorinut

I have switched to t-mobile home as my primary provider (vs Frontier 3mbit DSL). Problem is, the connection is behind a NAT.

My VPN provider, Windscribe, has a plan with a static IP address and up to 10 ports that I can forward and that I use Merlin to connect to as a client. I'm wanting to connect to my NVR to check my cameras on port 37778. I opened it up on Winscribe and I can't connect to the NVR. I tested the port and it's open from the outside.

Do I need to forward the port from the client VPN to the internal IP address? Can I?

You have to manually (as in use a script) to port forward over the VPN. The GUI only port forwards over the WAN.

P.S. A word of caution. This will only work if the targets of the remote access over the VPN are themselves bound to the VPN!

Last edited:
Oh boy... Thanks for the reply! I'm not real familiar with iptables but I will dig into it. Thanks!