What's new

Can I handle reverse proxy queries in the LAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

el_pedr0

Occasional Visitor
I've got a reverse proxy manager set up to pass incoming connections to the relevant server in my home network. So for example I can connect to my nextcloud server via the address nextcloud.example.com. Can I configure something so that queries emanating from within my home network don't need to be handled outside the network?

My components are:
* a single Asus AC68U router running merlin,
* a freenom domain,
* a server inside my home network which updates freenom with my dynamic IP,
* Ngnix Proxy Manager
* various services running on servers in my LAN which I would like to connect to using the handy names that I set in the Proxy manager (so myservice.example.com rather than hostname.lan.example.com:8000)

In the router's LAN settings, I have specified that the RT-AC68U's Domain Name is lan.example.com and in the WAN settings, I have specified 'Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS' to No.

I can understand the service.example.com case, where all queries are handled WAN-side, regardless of whether they came from inside or outside the LAN:
All requests to example.com are handled by upstream WAN DNS, which points to Router, which port forwads to Proxy Manager, which passes the query to the relevant port on the relevant LAN-side server.

Can I somehow bypass the WAN for queries emanating from inside the LAN. So, that when I access service.lan.example.com, the router sends the request to the proxy manager, and not the upstream DNS?

(edit: removed some errant hyperlinks)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!