What's new

Can I see the PHY link rate of AIMesh nodes anywhere?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbcd

Regular Contributor
I just want to makes sure that all 3 antennas of my AC68U are connected to 3 of my main AX86U router's antennas and the PHY link rate is what is should be (around a gigabit with an 80 MHz channel). In the app you can see RSSI and PHY link rate of clients, but for nodes it only shows RSSI. Can I see the PHY link rate of the nodes somehow?

Don't use the app.

In a browser, go to the router's GUI and select System Log, Wireless Log.

Don't use the app.

In a browser, go to the router's GUI and select System Log, Wireless Log.

Great, thank you! I confirmed good connections.

Question, which PHY value gets hut by 50% if a client is connected to a node? Do I need to be looking at Tx for the node and dividing that by two? It's already theoretical speed, so am I correct in thinking I need to divide it by 2 to get real world speed and then by 2 again to account for repeating the signal from the main router?

Yes. A wireless AiMesh node is just a 'fancy' repeater.

Great, thank you! I confirmed good connections.

Question, which PHY value gets hut by 50% if a client is connected to a node? Do I need to be looking at Tx for the node and dividing that by two? It's already theoretical speed, so am I correct in thinking I need to divide it by 2 to get real world speed and then by 2 again to account for repeating the signal from the main router?

I don't think that is how it works...

The backhaul Tx and Rx link rate speeds and the number of streams NSS are also shown in the Wireless Log for the node MACs.

As I see it, the link rate speed is just that... the capacity of the connection for given conditions in time. The actual throughput rate will depend on various factors at a given point in time. As the available WiFi bandwidth gets loaded/shared with client traffic or slowed by ambient interference, there will be less transmission of a given connection at its link rate speed. As you breakup and spread say 866Gbps transmissions out over a longer period of time, the actual throughput speed for that connection/client/backhaul will drop... subject to any traffic prioritization imposed by the firmware.

So, if you want to know your backhaul speed, you should measure it for given conditions. It will not exceed its link rate speed but can be less.

OE

I have an AIMesh node linked via ethernet cable. On the wireless log, there are no connections listed for any client that is attached to the node. Running Merlin 384.19 on both the main router and the node. Is this expected behavior due to the backhaul being wired? Is there anyway to see the rx tx metrics for the clients connected to the node?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!