What's new

Can I use an RT-AC66U as a wireless repeater?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RandyTheRouter

New Around Here
I have an RT-AC66U, Windows 8. I recently changed apartments and the guy upstairs is willing to share his Internet connection. Since our work patterns are different, this seems a great way to save costs. The signal from upstairs is too weak to penetrate our entire apartment. It seem I ought to be able to use the RT-AC66U to pick up his signal and repeat it.

Here’s where I stand:
- RT-AC66U should function fine: Used until last week with a modem on same computer
- Can’t access configuration panel
- ASUS Utility detects at the RT-AC66U at 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0,
- Cannot reach the RT-AC66U at 192.168.1.1, connected directly to computer by cable
- Pinging 192.168.1.1 times out
- RT-AC66U broadcasting signal no problem
- Did total factory reset multiple times
- Pored over Google, User’s Manual, etc.
- Switched every port, changed cables, did the holey pokey, prayed, tried Ouija, etc

It would be cool to avoid having to order a full new connection. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Does the RT-AC66U only work with a cabled connection to a modem? Even the configuration panel?
Thanks a lot for your help!
Randy

1. Connect your computer directly to a LAN port on the AC66u;
2. Open a browser and type in "192.186.1.1";
3. Use the Quick Set Up utility (or just go into the GUI itself) and configure the AC66U as a "Repeater";
4. Select the channel from your neighbor's wifi that you want the AC66U to repeat (also selecting whether you want to use 2.4 or 5 ghz as the "backhaul" channel);
5. Your neighbor has to give you the wifi password which you MUST input into the AC66U (so that it can gain access to whatever wifi channel your neighbor is broadcasting that you wish to repeat).
6. Assign whatever SSID name and password to your AC66U (this is what both the 2.4 and 5ghz radios on the repeater will be broadcasting to connected clients);
7. Hit "Apply".
6. That's it. Should work just fine.

I personally use three AC66U's in various locations in my home, repeating the 5ghz channels broadcast by an RT-AC3200. Two are set up as Media Bridges and the third is a Repeater. They all work just fine and are easily configured.

If this wasn't entirely clear, be certain to connect the Ethernet cable from your computer to a LAN (not the WAN) port on the AC66U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!