What's new

Can i use let's encrypt certifcate also for intrenet synology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gravityz

Hello,
i know i can use a let's encrypt certificate for the Asus ruoter(makes sense because it has internet visibility.
Can i use the same certificate for an internal synology?

sure i know i can get another certificate for synology bu then i need to give it external visibility(DDNS) and i do not want that.

thanks

Should be OK. I use the router Let's Encrypt certificate on Apache2 and it works. Keep in mind that you will have to manually update it every three months.

ok thanks.

the manual update in this case is a dealbreaker. to much hassle to make an internal site save.
if they are already on my intranet i am screwed either way.
i do not type in passwords because they auto fill in so stealing passwords will not work but like i said if they are on my intranet they probably have those passwords already

Anything that is internally-facing (intranet-only), whether or not SSL certificates are necessary is debatable for numerous reasons. Best practices would dictate always using them. However, most use them simply to get rid of web browser annoyances and warnings. Or, just access your router's admin page through HTTP instead of HTTPS, though you'll still get the warnings about the site not being secure. Leave any WAN access to the router disabled of course.

ok thanks.

the manual update in this case is a dealbreaker. to much hassle to make an internal site save.
if they are already on my intranet i am screwed either way.
i do not type in passwords because they auto fill in so stealing passwords will not work but like i said if they are on my intranet they probably have those passwords already

You can buy wildcard certificates and address such needs.
It's not a trivial process, but it can be done. I'm actually looking to implement such a solution, but time is never enough.
And it's not cheap overall.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!