What's new

Can I use Orbi Satellite as extender for another router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Trebuin

Hello, I recently had my repeater die on me & am now looking at the orbi if it can do what I need. 1st, I want to keep my ASUS RT-AC3200 as the master router off my cable modem because I use the USB 3.0 port on it for a external hard drive server. It's one of the fastest using a router. I won't consider using a NAS due to my bad luck of 100% corruption over 3 different NAS's. I can't use my desktop as it runs about $90 a month at 150w.

What I'd like to do is attach an orbi to a dedicated band on the master router. Essentially, it would be like replacing the Orbi Master with the ASUS. The reason why I'm doing this is to preserve the USB 3.0 Speed. If I used a repeater, the speed would be cut due to the shared use of the wifi band.

What I would like:

Modem - LAN - AC3200 ))) WIFI ))) Orbi repeater (or master)
(3 devices)

vs the alternate:

Modem - LAN - AC3200 - LAN - Orbi Master ))) Orbi repeater
(4 devices)

How my network was structured:
Modem - LAN - AC3200 ))) ASUS RT-AC66U - LAN - Apple Airport
(4 devices)

The AC66U just failed & the Airport failed about three months ago. Is the first config possible?

The only control you have of Orbi backhaul is to regenerate the security key, which is not displayed

The only control you have of Orbi backhaul is to regenerate the security key, which is not displayed

My other option was to hope for USB 3.0 on an upgraded version of it, but I need to hold my net over is a highly reduced signal state.

Thanks for the info on the back haul, that was what I was hoping to exploit, create a backhaul on the ASUS & have an Orbi satellite use it as a backhaul, but if the key is hidden, then that's not possible.

you can manually set the 5 gig channel from ch 36 to 48

Thank you.
Are you sure that this does not depend on the regional setting for Wifi? With my EX7000 and US region I was able to choose between ch 36 to 48, with region set to Europe, DFS channels were available, too.

Thank you.
Are you sure that this does not depend on the regional setting for Wifi? With my EX7000 and US region I was able to choose between ch 36 to 48, with region set to Europe, DFS channels were available, too.
Channel selection of course varies by region. AFAIK, DFS channels are not supported in Orbi at this time.

i believe the backhaul will use ether the dfs channels or the higher ch on 5 gig depending on the region meaning the client available ch will only ever be 36 to 48

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!