What's new

Can interference suddenly knock a majority of 2.4ghz devices offline for a few seconds?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

binarydad

Regular Contributor
I live in a typically NOT congested area in terms of wifi interference, but am trying to figure out an oddity I've been seeing. I run Home Assistant and have maybe a little over a dozen wifi plugs (2.4ghz) as well CCA (all 5ghz except 1) and roku devices (2.4 and 5gh). The home assistant UI allows me to look at history of all of these devices at a glance, and noticed a couple times that, for about 10 seconds, most (sometimes except a couple) 2.4ghz devices would be shown as offline. This includes most of the 2.4ghz plugs, and only the 2.4ghz CCA and roku devices. They all were shown as back online about 10-15 seconds later.

I would think that this were simply an oddity with HA, but it's ONLY the 2.4ghz devices (of the plugs, rokus, and CCAs). The 5ghz devices aren't affected. This makes it seems that for a brief moment, my 2.4ghz devices only are cutting out. Some devices affected are only about 10 feet in direct line of sight, too, which is weird if it was interference.

I do have SOME interference, but not a lot. Still, what could cause (seemingly) the 2.4 band to kick off these devices for a few seconds? I have not tried swapping out the router/wap, but wanted to check here first. Thanks!

Also, I'm running an AC68U with John's LTS merlin fork 3.0.0.4.374.43_39E3j9527 if that helps.

There are other 2.4GHz devices besides wifi. Unlike wifi w/ CSMA/CD, they are NOT cooperative as to their access of the 2.4GHz freq. A good example is a 2.4GHz cordless phone. Turn that on for a few seconds, and all your wifi will come to screeching halt.

A leaking microwave can cause it while running.

you don’t mention if there is any pattern to the interruptions.

Do you have power issues ? Could be a switching noise burst on the power leads or a poor ground, intermittent, on the house power circuits.

10-15 seconds almost sounds like a reboot or at least a reset.

a motorized device with a relay starter will broadcast a noise burst across all frequencies through the air and possibly on the power leads or ground. A dryer or hvac blower or pump motor or a refrigerator for example can do this.

just some ideas.

Hello Binary.. I have over 20+ years experience troubleshooting and implementing Wifi. From what you are describing I would look into possible issues with the 2.4 radio on your access point and or router. You can also try to get a laptop on the same SSID and run a continuous ping to the laptop to see if you can reproduce the same failure on the laptop.. If you still have the issue I'd love to assist with troubleshooting just let me know.