What's new

Can NAS drive be used as regular HD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BuffaloBob

New Around Here
My 4TB are down to 15oGB, Amazon has WD 10TB on sale for 202 today only. Was wondering if I could use the drives I have in other computers as a regular drive.

Without knowing the model numbers of the 4TB drives it's impossible to say. What are the model numbers?

Pic of drive label.

Attachments

• 20200715_154144.jpg
    20200715_154144.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 311
I suspect you are talking about this HDDs. That should work as a simple internal HDD (assuming that your PC hardware doesn't have a problem with the size for some weird reason).

I haven't been following the development of NAS HDDs closely in the past 1-1.5 years, so, I might be missing some new development. But prior to that, I knew no reason why you couldn't use a "NAS"-nominated HDD as an internal HDD in a desktop.
It has always been the opposite: not every HDD was suitable/optimised for NAS.

PS. I don't know see how knowing the currently used 4TB HDDs model helps. If I understand correctly, the current internal HDD is not used in a RAID or any other special configuration, - at least that is not mentioned (rather: "regular drive"). Did I miss something?

@StR I believe he was asking whether he could use his old 4TB drives in a PC and put the new 10TB drives in his NAS. Admittedly he didn't explain it very clearly.

@StR I believe he was asking whether he could use his old 4TB drives in a PC and put the new 10TB drives in his NAS. Admittedly he didn't explain it very clearly.

Aah! I see now... Thank you for the clarification!
You are probably right. I didn't read it that way.
Either way, - both old 4-TB and new 10-TB should be fine as internal HDDs in a PC.

Thanks for the help. Yes want to replace the 4 with the 10 in NAS, and use the 4 in computers here in the house. Seems I am constantly running out of space since everyone(3 boys and wife) have started taking video of everything. The 202 price for the drives is best I've seen in a while. Got the NAS and drives for christmas 2015 so they have lasted a while. It's just last few months it has been getting full . I have some 4TB external segate I was going to make the older boys back up their own stuff if I could use the 4's in their machines.

Thanks for the help

The drives themselves should be swappable between devices, however may not be optimized for that use (blue vs red re black vs green etc).

But, read your NAS specs to ensure it can 10tb HDD. If it supported 4tb then you *should* be ok, but I've seen some variations.

Which brand and model NAS?