What's new

can not reset rt-ac68A/U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

calvin tran

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I really need help as I ran out of options and sorry for the long writing.

I just set up a rt-ac68a as an Aimesh, new RT-AC86A as main router, then I decided to remove the node. So I used the node removal option and performed the reset with the reset button. However, I did not see the default Asus ssids as usual. Then I tried these:

1. Performed the reset multiple times, with reset button and WPS, without any success. I did not see the ASUS and ASUS-5G ssids.
2. After I reconfigured the RT-AC68A as an Aimesh node again, I updated the fw with Asus official fw. Then I tried all the reset methods, still no Asus default ssids when scanning for wifi networks with windows 10 laptop.

3. I connected my pc to a LAN port of the router RT-AC68A and my pc was assigned a valid IP, gateway = 192.168.1.1. I still could not access the login page at address 192.168.1.1 or router.asus.com.

4. I scanned the wifi ssids and there were no duplicated SSIDs, so the router was not running as aimesh with wireless backhaul. Then I noticed the ASUS and ASUS-5G SSIDs with correct MAC addresses appeared and disappeared from the scanner because the signal was supper weak at round -85dbm or less. My tablet is 2ft away from it.

5. I also connected the WAN port to the main router and tried to log on to the IP given by the main router but no success. I aslo noticed that when connecting this way, the RT-AC68A sets the DHCP with subnet 192.168.2.x.

The main router easily sees and is ready to add it as an aimesh node even when I hardly found the SSIDs with the wifi scanner.

Summary
-very weak wifi signal -85dbm
- not running as an aimesh node, by observation
- not able to logon
- DHCP server is running,

thanks in advance.

Just want to address the reset ...

This is how I reset my RT-AC68R:

1. Turn it on and let it finish boot up
2. Press and hold the reset button
3. When power LED flashes, release reset button and let router finish boot up
4. Connect PC to LAN1 and connect to router admin, there should be a wizard to start configuration.

• Remove all USB devices and Ethernet cables from all ports.
  • Remove the AC power plug (from the router and from the wall AC).
  • Wait 2 minutes.
  • Plug-in the power plug into the router and make sure the switch is on.
  • Hold down and keep holding down the WPS button while you plug-in the power plug to the wall AC.
  • Keep holding the WPS button until the router shuts down (if it doesn't shut down, keep holding the WPS button for 1 minute or more).
  • Reboot the router and you should now have the setup wizard screen.
  • If you don't, repeat the above until you do (varying the length of time you're holding the WPS button).
HTH. :)

So now I can do anything with the router but the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signal strengths are below -80dBm. I switched firmware from Merlin or Asus, set router as a router or an aimesh node, reset it many times, used ssh to clear the nvram, added a guest network, and nothing could bring the radio signal strength back.
I don't now if I did something to kill the radio, or I was just damn lucky to get the new router in time.

Ok, looks like you've done everything possible to reset/re-initialize.

How close were you to the router when you measured the wireless strength? Am I correct in assuming you were right next to the router?

If so, looks like your router might be broken. If it is still under warranty, I would initiate an RMA.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!