What's new

Can Omada routers hang with gaming routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Prodeje79

Regular Contributor
Before you flame me, you all turned me over to Omada a couple years back. Val and Trip were a major part of that.
My current setup is a Asus 86u running as router only (wifi off) with Merlin. I have a multi gamer household where gaming is the number 1 priority. We never want to see strict NAT types nor my 400mb cable like being saturated with multiple 4k HDR streams. I may be wrong, but I believe the full cone NAT and Dave's QoS to be the magic bullet for that.

I have several Omada APs and the oc200. I'd love to see everything from the Omada screen

Can any Omada router such as the TL-ER605 do a good job for this?

I am actually more in need of a switch right now. Again it would be nice to see it in Omada, but not a huge deal. For future planning, thinking I'd need at least 4 PoE ports, and 20 ports overall.

What's everyone's thoughts on router and switch for me? I really need to buy a switch asap and could wait on router... I don't do anything complex, but it would be cool to put my IoT on their own VLAN or something, so could get by with a big smart switch. I could always use injectors and not have PoE too.....

ER605 (or TL-R605, the same router) is $60. Why don't you get one and try? Make sure you get hardware version 1.6 and not the older 1.0.

I don't use Omada, but the matching switches are JetStream series. Find the one that fits your budget and requirements. I had TL-R605 in my hands about 6 months ago, but had to send it back. The router was a new model, version 1.0 and on initial release firmware. Now version 1.6 is available and the firmware was updated few times. Perhaps it works better now. There is no way this router can do 400Mbps QoS, it's similar to Ubiquiti EX-R. Your AC86U has faster hardware and can do ~350Mbps Cake. ER605 integrates in your Omada system, but get one and test what it can do for you. Setup guides? You perhaps don't need any guides. The UI is very easy, similar to home routers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!