What's new

Can parents see full links in web history?

• Thread starter Deleted member 84853
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 84853

hi there, living at home and my parents use an asus router. Can they see the exact webpages I visit in the router's web history section? Or just domain names?

Last edited by a moderator:
006.jpg

Looks like that, lasts until cleared, depends on if they activated it; it's not on by default. log into router and clear it. Use a local vpn to bypass it.

I have it turned off on mine, as I see it as an invasion of privacy and have other adult blocks going on for the nasty stuff.

Last edited:
It the Web History and Traffic Analyzer are enabled on this router they can see "www.youtube.com" or a long link from the sending server in Web History and "YouTube" or "QUIC" in Traffic Analyzer, but not exactly a link to the video you have watched. Similar "www.reddit.com" will be visible, but not exactly the thread you have read or replied to. They can have a general idea of what you visit or watch only. If you use one of the free VPN services available on your device they can eventually see VPN traffic in Traffic Analyzer, but nothing else. Free VPNs are usually traffic limited per month.

View attachment 47686

Looks like that, lasts until cleared, depends on if they activated it; it's not on by default. log into router and clear it. Use a local vpn to bypass it.

I have it turned off on mine, as I see it as an invasion of privacy and have other adult blocks going on for the nasty stuff.

oh I see, so looks like none of those links under 'Domain name' are actually specific full URL paths they could navigate to, just kind of the main domains? I don't mind if they see I'm on whatever.com, it's more I don't want them to be able to see that I'm looking at say, 'whatever.com/I'm_so_depressed'

If you really are - better talk to your parents. They will definitely try to help you.
Sorry, bad example, I'm not - but just trying to make a point ;)

Can anyone confirm then for sure that there's no complete URL shown in history?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, me too. Your parent won't see the exact content, but just URLs mixed with many other requests the router does. Not very useful information.
When you say URLs, is that to say just the main domains (eg. www.netflix.com but not netflix.com/whatever_show)? |

(sorry for the ignorance, not at all tech savvy!)

They can't see the actual video you have watched in Web History, but they can tell you have visited Netflix website. They can also see how much traffic you have used on Netflix in Traffic Analyzer.

If you are suffering from any mental health issues, I would strongly advise you seek help from a professional, your family doctor etc. I have been there and it's no joke.

Hoping no one is enabling all those features, also the Web History data is shared with Trend Micro.

Hoping no one is enabling all those features

Any TrendMicro component enabled runs Data Collection Daemon on the background. If you have Adaptive QoS enabled you already agreed to data sharing with TrendMicro. Running additional Web History and Traffic Analyzer doesn't make any difference.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!