What's new

Can see but not access external HD from some network computers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

larryC

New Around Here
I have a Windows 7 computer and just replaced an older Linksys ...54g router with this Asus. I have an attached external HD connected to it that I can see from all computers. The file structure is visible on all (LAN) computers but on all except my "main" computer I am asked for a log in password and user name to access the files. I've tried every password I have associated with the computers, network, router and I get "access denied". The request comes in the form of a pop-up box labeled Microsoft Security, so I think this is a network issue, but why does one computer not require a password and the other do - and any idea what password it's looking for.

I have one "account" set up for the HD in the router set-up and that password doesn;t work either. Network sharing and settings are identical on all (3) of my LAN computers.

Thanks.

You have an issue with cached logon credentials on that one computer. It isn't a issue with the router.

Win7 clear cached credentials

You can remove the authenticated credentials from

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts

click the username

To the left you will see Manage your credentials. From that select the share name and remove

Once the above is done, delete using net use
Start > Run > cmd > net use * /DELETE

Guz,

thanks, but that did not work. The only share I could find on one of the offending computers was my main PC. I removed that anyway and ran the net use cmd. It returned "no items in the list", or something similar. I don't think it did anything because when I checked network connections, the same homegroup network was "connected" and when I tried to connect to the router HD, I get the same pop up log in box.

I don't care if it asks for a log in, but I can't figure out what password or username it's looking for. It auto populates a username that is an amalgamation of that PCs name and my log on username for that computer. It and every other username I try, along with every possible password, fail to be accepted.

Ok, the "net use * /d" is just a catch-all to make sure nothing is connected. It's OK that it comes back "no items in the list".

The other issue maybe the Workgroup/Homegroup naming of the local systems and the differences in the router config.

On all your PC's, check what Workgroup name they are in. Control Panel -> System, and make note of the Workgroup. I recommend taking the time and making them all same (Ex: LCHome, or whatever you like). You will will need to reboot each system when you change it, btw.

Then go to the router and depending on which firmware you are using find the Workgroup name field and making it the same as above (I think they all keep it in the USB section). Also set the router to "Full access without account" in the USB "Network Neighborhood Share" just to keep things simple.

I also recommend to do a clean remove of the USB drive, reboot the router, then reboot all the other systems. Then try connecting USB drive, let it settle, and then try connecting to the drive via the network.

Guz,

Thanks very much. That did the trick. I changed the "account" name under the router's USB setting, which was in fact different than the workgroup name, then made the drive "Share without account". That changed how the disk's folders appear in Explorer and removed the password requirement from the PCs.

Thanks!!!

Excellent!

BTW, one other benefit of changing the workgroup name to being the same on everything, is that you will find the router (and other computers on your LAN) quicker when you open up Windows Explorer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!