What's new

Can someone guide me on how to install Diversion on my Asus 87U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

claudiu911

New Around Here
Okay, so I followed the install guide step by step, but I cannot format the flash drive to ext.
My router has the latest Merlin FW: Firmware Version 384.10_2 Firmware Build Wed Apr 3 22:29:21 UTC 2019 merlin@3b39aca

I keep receiving this error:
"
Formatting /tmp/mnt/UNTITLED now!

Unmounting device(s)

umount: can't unmount /tmp/mnt/UNTITLED: Device or resource busy

Filesystem(s) did not unmount

See error above for reason
"

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• eiJwp87 (1).png
    eiJwp87 (1).png
    75.6 KB · Views: 846
Which install guide did you follow? The newest one for installing amtm (by L&LD) is very complete and easy to follow: this is the one you should use to then follow up by installing Diversion (and possibly other useful scripts) within the menu system of amtm.

Edit: more specifically in your case: you might try using the unmount tool in the router GUI first (click the USB icon on the main opening page for options to unmount).

Same error "
Formatting /tmp/mnt/untitled now!

Unmounting device(s)

umount: can't unmount /tmp/mnt/untitled: Device or resource busy

See error above for reason"

I did it step by step (apart from "Enable SSH to 'LAN Only'"), unfortunately, my mbp dosen't have an ethernet port...

Anyways, I'm done with it. I'll try tomato custom fw, I think it has an integrated adblock.

Same error "
Formatting /tmp/mnt/untitled now!

Unmounting device(s)

umount: can't unmount /tmp/mnt/untitled: Device or resource busy

See error above for reason"

I did it step by step (apart from "Enable SSH to 'LAN Only'"), unfortunately, my mbp dosen't have an ethernet port...

Anyways, I'm done with it. I'll try tomato custom fw, I think it has an integrated adblock.

I may be missing something here, but your MBP doesn't need an Ethernet port to enable the 'SSH to 'LAN Only' option. ;)

Did you try formatting the USB drive on a computer first?

I may be missing something here, but your MBP doesn't need an Ethernet port to enable the 'SSH to 'LAN Only' option. ;)

Did you try formatting the USB drive on a computer first?

If I enable ssh to LAN only I won't be able to ssh into my router from Wi-Fi, and again, my laptop can't connect through lan.

I formatted the flash drive to NTFS, then FAT, that didn't work (I tried it with multiple flash thumbs... same outcome.).
Nothing works, yesterday I made a Linux VM, and I formatted the drive to ext, that didn't work at all, when I try to install division, it says: "
[ Error ] No compatible device(s) found to install

Diversion on.

A permanently plugged in USB storage device

formatted with one of these file systems

is required: ext2, ext3, ext4"

I think there must be something wrong with my router, or maybe I'm a bit idiot and I do something wrong.

If I enable ssh to LAN only I won't be able to ssh into my router from Wi-Fi, and again, my laptop can't connect through lan.

I formatted the flash drive to NTFS, then FAT, that didn't work (I tried it with multiple flash thumbs... same outcome.).
Nothing works, yesterday I made a Linux VM, and I formatted the drive to ext, that didn't work at all, when I try to install division, it says: "
[ Error ] No compatible device(s) found to install

Diversion on.

A permanently plugged in USB storage device

formatted with one of these file systems

is required: ext2, ext3, ext4"

I think there must be something wrong with my router, or maybe I'm a bit idiot and I do something wrong.

Yes, you will be able to SSH to your router when setting to LAN only. What is it set to now?

Please follow the guide in the link below. I am not really sure what you're doing and where, but the steps below will get you there properly.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/

It doesn't work :(

Thank you for the video.

Try rebooting the router first. Leaving the USB plugged into it. I am guessing this is a timing/order issue. (Maybe amtm should not be running before plugging in the USB drive, or, the NTFS version that the MBP is implementing isn't, somehow, compatible.

If rebooting the router does work, format the USB drive again as FAT.

Insert it into the router and then startup amtm.

If this still doesn't work? I would suggest an M&M config of your router, please see my signature below for the link to get it to a good/known state again.

Tbh it's not that new, but I tried multiple flash drives.

Try the FAT format. That is native to the MBP. There may be a compatibility issue going on.

It doesn't work :(
Does MacOS allow you to erase without reformatting?

If not, then perhaps choose a filesystem which the router cannot mount. exFAT?

Last edited:
Try the FAT format. That is native to the MBP. There may be a compatibility issue going on.

I already tried to format it as FAT, NTFS, ext4 I know sometimes OSX fracks with partitions... So, I tried to format the flash drive from a Linux VM... Unfortunately same outcome.

I already tried to format it as FAT, NTFS, ext4 I know sometimes OSX ***** with partitions... So, I tried to format the flash drive from a Linux VM... Unfortunately same outcome.

If borrowing a friends PC doesn't solve this, a full reset should. ;)

I already tried to format it as FAT, NTFS, ext4 I know sometimes OSX .... with partitions... So, I tried to format the flash drive from a Linux VM... Unfortunately same outcome.

I had the same problems with my RT-AC5300, and my USB formatting, from my MBP, I also tried formatting on a Mac mini. 2012, & 2014 model using macOS 10.13 & 10.14
Multiple VM's, and Paragons EXTFS for Mac, all failed due to some issue. The only thing that worked was formatting from the router and I have never looked back. It's the only formatting option I trust. Admittedly I have not tried the AMTM formatting option yet...I have not had the need.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ext4-disk-formatting-options-on-the-router.48302/

I would also recommend purchasing a new drive, I went with a sandisk ultra flair. It does get very hot.

I had tried a total of 4 USB drives I had lying around and they failed. They were the same mfg. hence my trying another brand.

There is topic here in the forums with recommended types, and user experiences. My choice was mainly it being midnight and living across the street from Wally World.

Good luck.

Last edited:
@claudiu911

I have a post awaiting moderation, Not sure what I said, but I digress. When it gets posted, check it out about my experiences with formatting on my Macs and my 5300.