What's new

Can the AC86U handle 1000 Mbps up/down fiber?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i've been doing this a while - mix/match with AC68U (I have one connected for cameras, one on hot standby, and one warm - preconfigured)
my main is GT-AC5300 (upgraded from RT- two weeks ago), and extender is GT-AX11000 - please don't ask why it's not my main. Please.

And I'm getting 600+ on the extender, and on the similar on the main GT 5300.
But... even when plugged into fiber, my AC68U's top out at 150-250. The speed drops a lot as I walk even 10-15' away.

I have AT&T Fiber (1000/1000) which reports 980/980 most days. Slowest was 880.

My PC reports ~200/80 Mbps, wired
That's in a browser.

I just realized Ookla offers a stand-alone Windows 10 test. When I ran that the results were >940/940 Mbps.

Browser is still as before. Why can the difference be so huge?

That's in a browser.

I just realized Ookla offers a stand-alone Windows 10 test. When I ran that the results were >940/940 Mbps.

Browser is still as before. Why can the difference be so huge?
Dude - which browser?
Is it using a proxy?
Mac or PC? Or Linux?
Which test site? What’s the latency?

example - I shut off Apple Private Relay because it nuked my speed. Test sites varied wildly. None showed 800+ - my home network maxes at 400-600 in browsers on wifi - main and extender - but 800-950 wired into main. All via browser. Mac and PC both show this.

Dude - which browser?
Is it using a proxy?
Mac or PC? Or Linux?
Which test site? What’s the latency?

example - I shut off Apple Private Relay because it nuked my speed. Test sites varied wildly. None showed 800+ - my home network maxes at 400-600 in browsers on wifi - main and extender - but 800-950 wired into main. All via browser. Mac and PC both show this.
Firefox 95.0.1 64-bits, without proxy, on Windows 10 21H2 64-bits with SpeedSmart and Speedtest by Ookla.

Latency I don't know from the top op my head, but speeds remain below 300 down, 200 up using that configuration...

Other browsers, OS's, and devices all work fine (> 900/900).

If that helps. I Have FTTH type 300/300Mb/s. Running via AC86U with OpenVPN (NordVPN client) having ~190Mb/s Down 220Mb/s Up on WiFi 5G.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-12-21 21-25-23.png
    Screenshot from 2021-12-21 21-25-23.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 80
Firefox 95.0.1 64-bits, without proxy, on Windows 10 21H2 64-bits with SpeedSmart and Speedtest by Ookla.

Latency I don't know from the top op my head, but speeds remain below 300 down, 200 up using that configuration...

Other browsers, OS's, and devices all work fine (> 900/900).
Then I'd guess it's a browser issue, or Firefox proxy issue, or DNS (unlikely) issue, or route issue (again unlikely).
But if the question is "does AC68U handle 1000mbps" and other browsers/OS/devices (mobile - unlikely) handle this, then it's proven yes - for short spurts.
(then again what *single device* needs to sustain that speed - none - and what endpoint service other than speed test will serve it - none)

this is why the theoretical/hypothetical nonsense of "serving 10gbps internet" is just that. it's why I don't pay a sh-t ton for 3gbps service in USA nor 10gbps (tightly capped) service in Seoul.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!