What's new

Can this be done with Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tdurden123

New Around Here
Hi, I'm looking to make sure Merlin can do the setup I'm wanting to do before buying the routers. If someone is familiar with Merlin and it's capabilities and can look over what I want to do and just let me know if it's possible that would be great. Not looking for help in setting it up, just is this possible!

I want to get two RT-N66U routers to setup a VPN between them. One will be at home connected to my home ISP. The other will be remote and connected to a remote ISP that will change (taken along while traveling).

1 - Home location will have a static IP, remote location will be dynamic. From what I've read this shouldn't be a problem having the remote router connect to a dynamic IP. Since the home router will be the server and has a static IP the remote VPN client can always find it.

2 - All traffic to the internet from devices connected to the remote router will be passed through the VPN and enter the internet from the home ISP. Pretty sure it'll do this, just making 100% sure!

3 - Would like it to be plug-in and walk away. Once initially setup I can then take it to any remote location, plug into the network there, power it on, and it will automatically start up the VPN back to the home router.

4 - Will block all IP traffic from devices connected to the remote router from going out the remote ISP. Situation I'm thinking is the remote router is setup with the VPN running back to home router. Remote devices are connected up and accessing the internet through the VPN and out the home ISP. The VPN goes down for some reason. If the VPN goes down I don't want the remote devices to suddenly have access to the internet from the remote ISP, it should appear to the remote devices that the internet is just disconnected.

5 - If the VPN goes down while running, it'll attempt to auto restart the VPN. This I'm pretty sure it can be configured to do, I remember reading a post about setting a config to how often it'll check the VPN link status.

Thank you for your time in looking over this!