What's new

can VPN Director be set to automatically use the wan for youtubeTV?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

128bit

Regular Contributor
is there a way to use vpn director for a specific range of remote ip's?

i have a vpn director client that uses the tunnel for all traffic but want to add another entry for that same client to use the wan when the remote server is tv.youtube.com. the problem is that youtubeTV uses several servers. nslookup returns a bunch of addresses and i'm not sure how to use cidr to represent them (142.250.189.206, 142.250.191.78, 142.251.46.174,
142.251.46.206). even so when i input any one of those addresses into a browser, i get a generic google search page and not youtubeTV. so it may not be possible.

for now, if i want to watch youtubeTV while browsing, i must manually disable the vpn for that client - big yuck. any thoughts would be appreciated but i'm still truly amazed at the tailoring and level of sophistication within the director service! it's been awhile since i've used stockware and things could have improved, but "vpn fusion" just doesn't come close. well done.

Hi,

Check this link:

If you have Merlin and amtm installed, it could help you

the problem is that youtubeTV uses several servers. nslookup returns a bunch of addresses and i'm not sure how to use cidr to represent them (142.250.189.206, 142.250.191.78, 142.251.46.174,
142.251.46.206). even so when i input any one of those addresses into a browser, i get a generic google search page and not youtubeTV. so it may not be possible.
According to this source https://www.router-reset.com/how-to-stream-youtube-videos-using-their-ip-address?expand_article=1 explains why using ip address may not work. It doesn't means redirection wouldn't work you just need to realize that they are sharing servers so your redirection may not be limited to YouTube alone.

I've broke the blocks down using cidr notation:
Code:
172.217.0.0/16
199.223.232.0/21
207.223.160.0/20
208.65.152.0/22
209.85.128.0/17
216.58.192.0/19

You should be able to add them to vpndirector and point them to WAN

Edit: looks like different ip ranges are found on different web pages. May end up as a cat and mouse game...

Last edited:
Hi,

Check this link:

If you have Merlin and amtm installed, it could help you
seems like a great tool. so i'm reading up. i'll have to install amtm - or maybe not. as i'm reading it may already be installed with the release i'm using.
much appreciated.

Last edited:
According to this source https://www.router-reset.com/how-to-stream-youtube-videos-using-their-ip-address?expand_article=1 explains why using ip address may not work. It doesn't means redirection wouldn't work you just need to realize that they are sharing servers so your redirection may not be limited to YouTube alone.

I've broke the blocks down using cidr notation:
Code:
172.217.0.0/16
199.223.232.0/21
207.223.160.0/20
208.65.152.0/22
209.85.128.0/17
216.58.192.0/19

You should be able to add them to vpndirector and point them to WAN

Edit: looks like different ip ranges are found on different web pages. May end up as a cat and mouse game...
yep, it would appear that shared hosting is my conundrum. i will try the script mentioned by kuki68ster, cause it seems promising. even though i'm specifically looking at youtubeTV, that ws you referenced clearly identified my problem. much obliged.

yep, it would appear that shared hosting is my conundrum. i will try the script mentioned by kuki68ster, cause it seems promising. even though i'm specifically looking at youtubeTV, that ws you referenced clearly identified my problem. much obliged.

We can thank @Ranger802004 for the script, it was a learning curve for me, but I got it to work, I use it on YouTube Premium (in my country is not available without VPN) and it works without issues…

You just need to add all YouTube TV domains and give it a few moments or hours, to build the IP's addresses.

after lots of research, i realize that i am totally out of my depth on how to install the script. while i've never used ssh on these routers, i have some familiarity but that was well over 20 years ago.

if someone can guide me on how this script gets installed and from what i've read so far, what jffs is all about, i'd be very grateful.

after lots of research, i realize that i am totally out of my depth on how to install the script. while i've never used ssh on these routers, i have some familiarity but that was well over 20 years ago.

if someone can guide me on how this script gets installed and from what i've read so far, what jffs is all about, i'd be very grateful.

Hello, I started without knowing much, but I found this link from L&LD, and I learned a lot. :)

Thanks L&LD

Hello, I started without knowing much, but I found this link from L&LD, and I learned a lot. :)

Thanks L&LD
ok, this should help, lots! i'll let you know