What's new

Can You All Help Get Gigabit Going?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pdxrealtor

Occasional Visitor
I have-
  • New Asus laptop, w/ Gigabit card (SSD HD, Intel 3rd gen i7, 1600 Mhz bus)
  • WD Mybook World
  • D-Link DIR-855 w/ latest firmware update
  • Cat 6 cable connecting computer, Mybook, and Asus laptop. No more than 15 FT of cable run. (all in same 8x10 rm)

I'm only getting, according to Windows 8 transfer data, 12-14 mb/s.

I know this is 100 mb/s tech and that I should be seeing 40-60 Mb/s if gigabit is working.

I don't think the WD My Book World is the bottleneck. I swear I've seen GB speeds on different equipment to that same drive in the past, but I can't be 110% if that makes sense.

Where do I start to troubleshoot? I'm not dumb, but I'm far from a knowledgeable network guy.

Help help help is appreciated appreciated appreciated!!! :eek:

WD My Book World

Which model do you have?
Also under your laptop run this.

Run as Administrator
Open a dos prompt right
type: netsh int tcp show global > c:\my_tcp_settings.txt

Attach the txt to your next reply here or copy and past what you read in the txt file to your next reply.

Example of what you would add is this below;

Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
Chimney Offload State : enabled
NetDMA State : enabled
Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : enabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : disabled
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : ctcp
ECN Capability : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled
Initial RTO : 1000

This is my current state from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 with JASPER TCP PLUS (tipstir coding) :)
Under Windows 8 your Initial RTO will equal 3000 and you have one more settings protocol under that not shown above.

Last edited:
Before you dig too far into what you think may be a problem, look for some reviews on the WD NAS to see if it's actually up to the task. It may very well be a total dog when it comes to transfer speeds.

Depends on which model he has.. Also a few other factors too. Most of these WD Network Drives are low a Writes. My WD Book Live was great when open up the box and was connected. After using it you can clearly see the overheating and lousy performance from the device. Which ended right back where I got it from.

WD My Book World

Which model do you have?
Also under your laptop run this.

Run as Administrator
Open a dos prompt right
type: netsh int tcp show global > c:\my_tcp_settings.txt

Attach the txt to your next reply here or copy and past what you read in the txt file to your next reply.

Example of what you would add is this below;

Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
Chimney Offload State : enabled
NetDMA State : enabled
Direct Cache Acess (DCA) : enabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : disabled
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : ctcp
Initial RTO : 1000

This is my current state from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 with JASPER TCP PLUS (tipstir coding) :)
Under Windows 8 your Initial RTO will equal 3000 and you have one more settings protocol under that not shown above.

Here is a link to my WD drive. It's a WD My Book World 2, model WD 20000h2nc.

http://support.wdc.com/product/install.asp?groupid=118&lang=en

I am downloading drive software now, but I don't think that will fix anything.

In the device manager there is a yellow exclamation point next the NAS so I figure it's worth a shot. The driver is showing up to date in the device manager and the WD support page states no drivers are needed from WD, all drivers are included in the OS, including Windows 8- see here for reference-- http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers...sion/L3RpbWUvMTM1ODExODgwNi9zaWQvekZvQSpkZ2w=

Your command line text is not outputting any text file. It seems like it's a valid line as when I paste it in the command window and hit enter I don't get any errors it simply drops me off at the next command line prompt.

OK! For some reason the only portion of your command line that was needed to pull the requested info was this: c:\my_tcp_settings.txt

Which yielded this--

Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
Chimney Offload State : disabled
NetDMA State : disabled
Direct Cache Access (DCA) : disabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal
Add-On Congestion Control Provider : none
Initial RTO : 3000
Receive Segment Coalescing State : disabled

Well I updated the firmware on the WD 2 drive, and went through the settings. I didn't change anything because nothing looked familiar.

I did map the network the drives, but it seems all that did was add an extra network drive (what I see as folder) that just gets in my way!

After the firmware upgrade I did a transfer off the NAS to my SSD and got 35-40 transfer speeds.

Then I took the same file from my SSD back to my NAS and was again stuck at highest 14, as low as 12.

I swear in the past I got higher write speeds (to the NAS) with a different computer but it was a hectic time so I can't recall the details.

It seems that according to this post I'm dead in the water- http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/...-charts-wd-my-book-world-edition-ii-white-bar

Could I simply download my movies directly to the NAS and avoid having to transfer the 2-10 GB files after downloading???? Or will that method increase write errors resulting in errors when watching movies over the air, and/or pictures?

EDIT**** All speeds are MB/s not mbps ****

Last edited:
Writes to the NAS your using is slower than the reads. My WD NAS was the same. Ended up sending it back and got NSA 325 no issues. I download and stream off that NAS no issues. I have for 2x dual network DVR with 4x HDTV tuners recording @ 1080i HD Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 no issues.

By-the-way Initial RTO : 3000 on Windows 8 is the default, it needs to be 2000, I have mind set to 1000 because of my network needs.

Writes to the NAS your using is slower than the reads. My WD NAS was the same. Ended up sending it back and got NSA 325 no issues. I download and stream off that NAS no issues. I have for 2x dual network DVR with 4x HDTV tuners recording @ 1080i HD Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 no issues.

By-the-way Initial RTO : 3000 on Windows 8 is the default, it needs to be 2000, I have mind set to 1000 because of my network needs.

The RTO is chinese to me. Care to explain and IYO should I fix it?

I can stream the 1080p wireless without issue. Seems the drive can dish out , but can't take it. Awesome! Thanks WD, for nothing!

tipstir;57550 I have for 2x dual network DVR with 4x HDTV tuners recording @ 1080i HD Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 no issues. [/QUOTE said:
How are you recording from your DVR? Is that something I can do with comcast and my box?

re comcast.. et al, I've not seen any way to pull data from cableCo's set top box/DVR. I've read that you CAN do so with well known hacks to TiVo boxes.

I have recorded from encrypted content on the cable (today, that's most all channels)... using a Hauppage (brand) HD PVR ($150) that takes in component video from a cable box and outputs USB to a PC that has software to record to .ts or .mpg4 format. Used to be SageTV. MS Media Center can do it.

Tricky part for me was getting the software to tune the channel on the set top box via infrared (USB-UIRT device used). Software then does the schedules.

I used this for years, and a predecessor (non-HD) equivalent. Set Top box was one just for the HD PVR; not the set top box used for viewing.

But it's too much of a PITA now. The best part was that the video files were *mine*, free to store, move, etc., not proprietary.

This recording technique is called the "Analog Hole" and cableCo's and content providers want to prohibit it- but they can't, so long as cable boxes have component video-out - which they won't, in a year or so.

How are you recording from your DVR? Is that something I can do with comcast and my box?

You can but, you need to get this below. I've ditch COMCAST CATV HD and use own HDTV network setup here. All for free. I get about 67 digital channels.

SiliconDust HDHR3-CC HDHomeRun PRIME CableCARD TV tuners

front panel
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71rnRkKrdNL._AA1500_.jpg

rear panel
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/714ywOrxmFL._AA1500_.jpg

The above is only for CATV subscribers, the above is a network box use on your network
also requires cable cards from COMCAST. This gives you 4x HD Recording Tuners that
can be shared by all network PCs or network PCs via 1080p HDTV

This is how I do with all network PCs (desktop, laptop, tablet) also smartphones. I have 4x HD Recording Tuners
I use two Gigabit Jumbo MTU 9K laptops as DVRs they are connected to 40 and 46" SONY's both use WD Passport USB 3.0 500GB or TB HDD
The results are excellent HD better than COMCAST gave me. SD also comes out sharp. Strange how some SD channels
are still around. NSA 325 is use to store additional media if I want to watch kept shows or movies. Media Center 7 is what I use to record with.
MS is giving Media Center 8 away for free you can get that from them directly..

Last edited: