What's new

Can you use a gigabit ethernet switch with a Netgear EX7000 range extender

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

margolbe

Occasional Visitor
I currently use an EX7000 as a range extender. It has 5 gigabyte ethernet ports.

However, I a need some additional ports and am wondering can I use a gigabit ethernet switch with the Netgear used as a range extender. My router is an ASUS AC router.

I currently use an EX7000 as a range extender. It has 5 gigabyte ethernet ports.

However, I a need some additional ports and am wondering can I use a gigabit ethernet switch with the Netgear used as a range extender. My router is an ASUS AC router.

Yes. Just plug the switch into one of the LAN ports and you are good to go. No setup required. Just use a quality cable to connect the two devices. Cat 6 if you have it.

Yes. Just plug the switch into one of the LAN ports and you are good to go. No setup required.
This will only be the case if you're using an unmanaged switch. If it's managed or 'smart', then it may require some configuration. Also, keep in mind that you'll lose one port on the switch and on the Netgear for the wire that connects both. I've been short one port in certain situations because I forgot about that.

This will only be the case if you're using an unmanaged switch. If it's managed or 'smart', then it may require some configuration. Also, keep in mind that you'll lose one port on the switch and on the Netgear for the wire that connects both. I've been short one port in certain situations because I forgot about that.

If you are just trying to add additional ports at the far end/ device end of an Ethernet drop it is very unlikely that you would need a managed switch. The $25 plug and play switch is all that is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are just trying to add additional ports at the far end/ device end of an Ethernet drop it is very unlikely that you would need a managed switch. The $25 plug and play switch is all that is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, but in the context of covering all the scenarios, a managed switch would might make things not as plug and play. And as the cost of managed switches come down, they are finding their way into smaller and smaller networks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!