What's new

Canary Moves Nearly All Free Features Behind Paywall

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Razor512

Very Senior Member
7H1IUty.png

As part of a recent change, Canary has decided to take many features that were advertised as being free with their cameras, and moved them behind a pay wall which will cost $10 per month for the first camera, and $5 per month for each additional camera

Users on a free account are now limited to live view (only viewable on their smartphone app), and recordings will be capped at 10 second clips which are erased after 24 hours, and those types of recordings will only take place in "Away mode". Night mode is now moved behind a paywall, thus leaving no options to record motion without generating alerts. Furthermore, you are limited to only 3 video downloads per month.

Overall, it has become one of the least functional cloud reliant cameras with the removal of the vast majority of features that received positive feedback in reviews.

On their website, as of 10/26/2017 they are offering a different service plan option with no cheaper option. basically 1 camera will cost you $10+ tax per month or you are stuck with live view and a record time limit of 10 seconds which is pretty much useless.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...-smart-home-camera-free-service-update-change

https://jeffreifman.com/2017/10/16/canary-scams-consumers-disabling-devices-without-subscriptions/

Last edited by a moderator:
When you buy a service, even a free one initially, instead of buying hardware that you own 100%, this is what happens. Cloud based hardware is something I avoid at all costs. Because you don't get any discount for it and you almost always need an indeterminate subscription fee to use it.

When they give the hardware for free and with a written contract of what needs to be paid per month or year, I'll consider them again. Until then? I don't give anyone access to my wallet or bank account nor do I show up willingly to be their hostage either.

i just buy ip cams that allow me to use my own file server. Then have my file server also sync the streams with another file server at another site.

What is the world coming to, must we do everything ourselves?

The problem here is pricing is per camera, not as a whole.

At least with Arlo its 7 days worth saved on the cloud, with videos older than 7 days deleted when on free tier. Seems better to stick to known brands like Asus, Netgear, Nest etc, where you can at least be sure that they most likely won't pull stunts like this.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!