What's new

Cannot access a specific website from ASUS router behind bridged router/modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Artoo

New Around Here
My ISP has provided me with a CISCO EPC3928S modem/router. I have this set to Bridged mode and handle routing on my internal network using my ASUS AC68U.

I need to access a specific website for my work, but cannot access it when i am connected to the ASUS AC68U. I have tried to tracert the hostname in question and can see 5 or 6 hops from my home in Malta, through to UK before it starts to timeout.

If I switch on the wireless on the bridged CISCO EPC3928S I can access the site just fine.

Any ideas on why I cannot access this site? Or how to go about diagnosing the issue?

1. Have you tried not using bridged mode?
  2. Try not using the ISP DNS server and instead use Google DNS or OpenDNS on your AC68U.

1. Have you tried not using bridged mode?
  2. Try not using the ISP DNS server and instead use Google DNS or OpenDNS on your AC68U.
  1. I can put the CISCO in router mode, log on to the WiFi network provided by the ASUS and access the site. This does not seem like an ideal solution though.
  2. With the CISCO in bridged mode, I tried the following DNS server configurations on the ASUS, but none of them worked. I can access all other sites I have tried, just not this specific site, smart7solutions.com.
    1. Automatic DNS settings
    2. Manual input DNS server settings provided by my ISP
    3. Manual input DNS server setttings provided by OpenDNS

With the CISCO in bridged mode, I tried the following DNS server configurations on the ASUS, but none of them worked. I can access all other sites I have tried, just not this specific site, smart7solutions.com.
  1. Automatic DNS settings
  2. Manual input DNS server settings provided by my ISP
  3. Manual input DNS server setttings provided by OpenDNS
My understanding is that you tried 1-3 one at a time. If that’s the case, then there’s probably not a DNS issue.
  1. I can put the CISCO in router mode, log on to the WiFi network provided by the ASUS and access the site. This does not seem like an ideal solution though.
Not ideal but I used successfully for many years until I moved to a different ISP a year ago and it was no longer required. Bridging with my former ISP caused several issues for me.
  • Have you asked any co-workers who use the same ISP if they have a similar issue?

My ISP has provided me with a CISCO EPC3928S modem/router. I have this set to Bridged mode and handle routing on my internal network using my ASUS AC68U.

I need to access a specific website for my work, but cannot access it when i am connected to the ASUS AC68U. I have tried to tracert the hostname in question and can see 5 or 6 hops from my home in Malta, through to UK before it starts to timeout.

If I switch on the wireless on the bridged CISCO EPC3928S I can access the site just fine.

Any ideas on why I cannot access this site? Or how to go about diagnosing the issue?
Do you have aiprotect on and for some reason it may be blocking it?

ApexRon and GuruGuy - thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I can confirm I haven't got AIProtect enabled.

Right now I have just got the the CISCO set in Router mode. This does mean I cannot access my home network remotely.