What's new

Cannot access my router RT-N66U Dark Knight

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

a4xrbj1

New Around Here
Hi,

I can't access the router anymore (it's actually already quite a while). When I enter 192.168.0.1 (which is the address of the router) I get "Cannot connect to server" message

I've tried different computer (unfortunately I only have Apple products), use my iMac, MacBookPro and from my iPhone, all the same error message.

Tried Safari and Chrome to exclude a browser problem. I restarted the router as well but it still doesn't let me access it (I don't even get to a window to enter my password/userid).

Hope I'm not the only one and the solution is easy. Tried the search but my words "log" and "into" are too common to get results that make sense.

TIA,

Andreas

Hi,

I can't access the router anymore (it's actually already quite a while). When I enter 192.168.0.1 (which is the address of the router) I get "Cannot connect to server" message

Did you change the router IP to 192.168.0.1?

The default is 192.168.1.1

If you reset/clear nvram to defaults you would need to use the default IP of 192.168.1.1

You can also use http://www.asusrouter.com/ which should let you into the password prompt.

Did you change the router IP to 192.168.0.1?

The default is 192.168.1.1

If you reset/clear nvram to defaults you would need to use the default IP of 192.168.1.1

You can also use http://www.asusrouter.com/ which should let you into the password prompt.
Hi and thanks for your answer,

I did reset the router IP quite from the beginning on as all most of my devices have static IP's in the range to 192.168.0.254

I've tried accessing the www.asusrouter.com and after a long wait period (with message trying to resolve host) I got the following error message:

This webpage is not available

Reload Hide details
The server at www.asusrouter.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.
Check your Internet connection
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.
Check your DNS settings
Contact your network administrator if you're not sure what this means.
Try disabling network prediction
Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > Show advanced settings... and deselect "Predict network actions to improve page load performance." If this does not resolve the issue, we recommend selecting this option again for improved performance.
Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.
If you use a proxy server...
Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to Applications > System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Proxies and deselect any proxies that have been selected.
Error code: ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Please note that I had these "trying to resolve host" problems for long and one of the suggestions was to disable that Chrome setting mentioned above. I turned it back on anyway and it doesn't change anything, same error message.

Now when I try to access my router's IP at 192.168.0.1 I get the following error message:

This webpage is not available

Reload Hide details
Google Chrome's connection attempt to 192.168.0.1 was rejected. The website may be down, or your network may not be properly configured.
Check your Internet connection
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.
Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.
If you use a proxy server...
Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to Applications > System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Proxies and deselect any proxies that have been selected.
Error code: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

So the error code is different and connection refused means the router won't let me in, right? I mean it won't let me connect even to it.

Hope this is helpful in coming up with a solution,

Andreas

I did reset the router IP quite from the beginning on as all most of my devices have static IP's in the range to 192.168.0.254
If you have reset the router its IP address will be 192.168.1.1.

If you have set a static IP on your PC you will have to change that as well so that it is in the range 192.168.1.2 to 254. You will also have to change the default gateway to 192.168.1.1. Turn off any proxy setting.

Thread can be closed

I have finally reset the router and I could finally enter the administration page again. Had to setup all the settings but at least I have access again.

Thanks, thread can be closed

Andreas

Did you try asus discovery tool , that could help get into a lost router

Did you try asus discovery tool , that could help get into a lost router
No, like I wrote I reset using the button on the back of the router, pressing it for more than 5 seconds.

What is the discovery tool of ASUS and where can I find it?

Andreas

haha... I was looking for solution for this today... so, someone might bump into this thread like I did :)

Good grief, you earn at least 1 million bonus points for searching for an answer instead of just posting an oft repeated question.

Kudos to you. :)