What's new

Cannot access web admin gui on AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jcn

Occasional Visitor
I did some searching and it seems others have had a similar issue; when I tried to get to the web admin GUI I get the following error:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC56U.
To access the settings of RT-AC56U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

Now, this is cached in my browser. When I cleared my cookies and cache I went from that error to a connection refused. In other instances on the forum, it seems that OpenVPN was the culprit and that a reboot solved the problem. Several reboots here, and I'm still unable to access the GUI, and can't connect in any way via HTTP (over 80, 443 and 8000/8080) or a telnet/SSH session. I've power cycled the thing several times, to no avail. The network is still running though, all my devices still have internet access and pings work just fine (the address hasn't changed).

Is my last resort to try a hard reset and start from scratch, or has anyone else encountered this and figured out how to solve it?

Edit: I should add I didn't have a problem with the router or the web admin GUI for the first few days, it was only when I attempted to link a bridge by pressing the WPS button that everything went to hell.

Last edited:
I have the same problem on my AC68U as well. It happened after upgrading to firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.5047 and switching to HTTPS mode.

It only affects Firefox, however, it will work with IE but IE will complain about an invalid certificate.

*Update*

I have cleared the certificate stored in Firefox for 192.168.1.1, cleared the 'Offline Web Content and User Data' stored for 192.168.1.1 and router.asus.com, and tried the HTTPS connection again. It worked this time.

Last edited:
That won't work in my case - the router is outright refusing connections on 80 and 443. I don't know if there are other ports (I tried the usual suspects of 8000 and 8080) that it might have listened to instead, but until I break out nmap I'm assuming the thing just isn't listening to anything.

That won't work in my case - the router is outright refusing connections on 80 and 443. I don't know if there are other ports (I tried the usual suspects of 8000 and 8080) that it might have listened to instead, but until I break out nmap I'm assuming the thing just isn't listening to anything.

happened to me too, power it off.. unplug... press and hold the WPS button, and connect power plug back.. wait 2-5 seconds, release WPS.

Web gui should work now.. wait for all lights to come on on router.

Last edited:
Thanks exhibit. Unfortunately, that's the hard reset, which was my last resort. Hated to do it because I had some active file transfers I didn't want to disturb, but it was driving me nuts.

Time to upgrade the firmware on this thing and hope it doesn't act up again.

Had the same issue here.

Added a few static DHCP clients to the list, and never was able to get back in to the web gui.

Given the cost of this thing I am beginning to lose faith in ASUS here. Releasing firmwares which reboots non stop, trouble with unreliable wireless performance and this to boot. :S

I wish there was a decent alternative. ;)

-KJ

Same problem here if I reboot over the WAN - can't access the GUI for hours (and then it starts to work). Nothing seems to fix it. Every firmware version so far. Annoying and makes the device impossible to administer remotely. :mad:

Try to disable wifi via button on the box. After that I can access GUI via LAN with no problem.
When reconnecting WLAN the problem comes back in a while...

I have had this problem twice now on upgrades. Disconnecting from wifi (or disabling then re-enabling the ethernet port) resolved it for me.