Solved Cannot add node into AiMesh

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Sicario

Regular Contributor
Current situation:

I want to set my AC86U as an AiMesh Router and AC68U as a node, but keep failing to add AC68U as a node. Tried factory reset for both of them, no success. Both of them are on 386.2_beta2. Tried both wired and wireless backhaul, no success. Tried to setup using mobile app, also no success. Can someone help me? Much appreciated

Last edited:

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Current situation:

I want to set my AC86U as an AiMesh Router and AC68U as a node, but keep failing to add AC68U as a node. Tried factory reset for both of them, no success. Both of them are on 386_beta2. Tried both wired and wireless backhaul, no success. Tried to setup using mobile app, also no success. Can someone help me? Much appreciated

Be sure the AC86U WPS is enabled, not using HTTPS, all bands on all nodes are broadcasting, and the AC68U is reset, not configured, and not too close. If using fixed channels, try auto for the setup.

Is this a new issue... were you able to use AiMesh before installing Asuswrt-Merlin?

OE

Sicario

Regular Contributor
Be sure the AC86U WPS is enabled
enabled

not using HTTPS
it's not

all bands on all nodes are broadcasting
all broadcasting

and the AC68U is reset, not configured
fully reset and clean

and not too close. If using fixed channels, try auto for the setup.
all done

Is this a new issue... were you able to use AiMesh before installing Asuswrt-Merlin?
it was actually an AiMesh system on the same 386.2_beta2 firmware, I tried to refresh it by removing the node then re-add. it turns out I can't get it work again.

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
enabled

it's not

all broadcasting

fully reset and clean

all done

it was actually an AiMesh system on the same 386.2_beta2 firmware, I tried to refresh it by removing the node then re-add. it turns out I can't get it work again.

Since Asuswrt-Merlin is not required on the remote node, you could install stock Asuswrt on the AC68U to see if that jiggles anything. And try webUI Restore w/Intialize to reset Asuswrt before adding the node.

OE

Sicario

Regular Contributor
Since Asuswrt-Merlin is not required on the remote node, you could install stock Asuswrt on the AC68U to see if that jiggles anything. And try webUI Restore w/Intialize to reset Asuswrt before adding the node.

OE
Tried with latest beta stock from the asus website, still no luck. Yes, also did initialized, no success.

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Tried with latest beta stock from the asus website, still no luck. Yes, also did initialized, no success.

What is the fail response when you attempt to search/add the node?

Can you move the router around some, away from any other electronics/cordless devices and in a different position to change up the radio waves a bit. Probably not it since a wired backhaul did not help.

Getting more drastic, I'd try stock on the AC86U. Leave the defaults mostly and disable Smart Connect since the AC68U does not support it.

OE

Sicario

Regular Contributor
after disabling CakeQoS, I finally got AiMesh system up. I don't know why ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

paging @RMerlin

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
AiMesh is closed source, therefore entirely outside of my control.

MissingTwins

Occasional Visitor
Base on 386.3_2

From my experience, the following way of configuration will always fail.
Condition 1 . ac86u or ax86u as the top route
Condition 2. ac68u as Aimesh node
Ac68u
1. From page Administration - Operation Mode
2. Switch to AiMesh Node from fully configured Wireless router Mode(default)
3. Automatic reboot
4. Without powering off even once.
Ac86u
1. From page Aimesh - Add AiMesh Node
2. Search
3. Ac68u will be discovered( with Wifi mark)
4. It will fail at about 35%
5. Showing unable to add Aimesh.
Following this path it fails every time.

To break this ice, after switching to AiMesh Node.
You need to do,
1. Power on ac68u
2. Wait until it is fully booted
3. Check if WebUI is accessible.
4. Power off
5. Do 1 to 4 power on/off at least twice.
6. Power on and wait WebUI to be up
7. Connect ac86u LAN to ac68u WAN
8. ac86u From page Aimesh - Add AiMesh Node
9. Ac68u will be discovered( with ETH mark)
10. Progress bar will exceed 40% , and pairing will be a success

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!