What's new

Cannot add node into mesh. Setting up in AP mode with non default subnet and statics.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blademan007

New Around Here
Hi all,

New to Asus merlin and asus family. Coming from Google wifi, and plenty of linksys/dd-wrt/tomato.
  • 2 new RT-AX58
  • Installed latest Asus Merlin firmware
  • When adding node, node WAN is plugged into router LAN, and node is detected with no problems.
  • Goal is to setup 2 AX58 into AP mode. Setup AI-mesh with ethernet backhaul. Change them to different subnet 192.168.86.0/24 (migrating from Google wifi). Give both devices statics of .15 and .16.
If I leave it in router mode, I can add node to ai-mesh. But once I change IP to different subnet, I cannot access the node. Discovery utility shows router on 192.168.86 net, but node on 192.168.50.185. web gui of node says to connect to router..
If I configure router from start into AP mode, I'm unable to add node. AI-mesh add process detects device, goes through mesh configuration progress gui, and then show failure page.
I've tried using asus-merlin fw for both units, as well as asus fw for both. Same result.

TIA

Hi all,

New to Asus merlin and asus family. Coming from Google wifi, and plenty of linksys/dd-wrt/tomato.
  • 2 new RT-AX58
  • Installed latest Asus Merlin firmware
  • When adding node, node WAN is plugged into router LAN, and node is detected with no problems.
  • Goal is to setup 2 AX58 into AP mode. Setup AI-mesh with ethernet backhaul. Change them to different subnet 192.168.86.0/24 (migrating from Google wifi). Give both devices statics of .15 and .16.
If I leave it in router mode, I can add node to ai-mesh. But once I change IP to different subnet, I cannot access the node. Discovery utility shows router on 192.168.86 net, but node on 192.168.50.185. web gui of node says to connect to router..
If I configure router from start into AP mode, I'm unable to add node. AI-mesh add process detects device, goes through mesh configuration progress gui, and then show failure page.
I've tried using asus-merlin fw for both units, as well as asus fw for both. Same result.

TIA
Asus support: "I do apologize but you cannot setup a AP mode with aimesh. So basically, you can only add a node when the main router is on router mode."
Is that also true for Asus-Merlin?

Yes, same on RMerlin firmware too.

Set up the main router fully, before adding the node.

If you are using a router in front of these, you can setup an AiMesh AP mode too.

No dice.
Fully setup main router: AP mode, gave it a static IP on desired new subnet. All good. Reset node from button, and started aimesh add node process. Ai-mesh detects node connected via ethernet (router lan <> node wan), and steps through aimesh progress bar. Aimesh then fails to add node with "Unable to add your aimesh node XXX due to the following..."