What's new

Cannot Add router into AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Watson306

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys,
I have a RT-AC68U router as my main router running Merlin, and I have obtained a DSL-AC68U router which I would like to use as an AiMesh node, but everytime I try to discover it I get 'Unable to add your AiMesh node DSL-AC68U'.
I have tried updating the FW on the DSL-AC68U - currently v300438481140 as I read somewhere that this was working version for AiMesh.
The only thing I have noticed is that the RT-AC68U has the AiMesh sub menu in the Asus web app, but the DSL does not - not sure if that is relevent?
Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Guys,
I have a RT-AC68U router as my main router running Merlin, and I have obtained a DSL-AC68U router which I would like to use as an AiMesh node, but everytime I try to discover it I get 'Unable to add your AiMesh node DSL-AC68U'.
I have tried updating the FW on the DSL-AC68U - currently v300438481140 as I read somewhere that this was working version for AiMesh.
The only thing I have noticed is that the RT-AC68U has the AiMesh sub menu in the Asus web app, but the DSL does not - not sure if that is relevent?
Any help would be appreciated.
Reset the router to defaults by unplugging power, then pressing and holding the WPS button on the side, then plugging in the power, holding this until the power light flashes rapidly then let go. After that wait until the lights stabilize and try re-adding the node.

Reset the router to defaults by unplugging power, then pressing and holding the WPS button on the side, then plugging in the power, holding this until the power light flashes rapidly then let go. After that wait until the lights stabilize and try re-adding the node.
Thanks for your post - Just tried that and get the same result.

That 384.xx level of firmware may be AiMesh v1.0. Current routers are using AiMesh v2.0.

This may never work?

Depends on what your budget is.

For any of the following I would make them the main router (do not import any saved settings from your current router), and it may make your current router unneeded too (testing will tell).

In order of increasing performance (throughput):

RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U, GT-AX6000

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

In the link above, note how a single RT-AX68U was far superior to 2x RT-AC86Us (which were the best performing AC class routers Asus made, and noticeably better than your RT-AC68U).

I do not suggest buying any AC class routers today. They will stay on the old 386.xx firmware level (with a few security updates for a while), but they will not get the just released 388.xx level firmware that is targeted at just AX class routers going forward.

Hope this is helpful. :)

Depends on what your budget is.

For any of the following I would make them the main router (do not import any saved settings from your current router), and it may make your current router unneeded too (testing will tell).

In order of increasing performance (throughput):

RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U, GT-AX6000

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

In the link above, note how a single RT-AX68U was far superior to 2x RT-AC86Us (which were the best performing AC class routers Asus made, and noticeably better than your RT-AC68U).

I do not suggest buying any AC class routers today. They will stay on the old 386.xx firmware level (with a few security updates for a while), but they will not get the just released 388.xx level firmware that is targeted at just AX class routers going forward.

Hope this is helpful. :)
Thank you. I'm in the process of moving house so probably wont be doing that at the moment.
I meant is it worth upgrading the FW on the DSL-AC68U? Although I have tried the latest asus FW, with no joy.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I haven't used DSL equipment in a long time. You may want to try using @GNUton's firmware for your router as a test. Be sure you flash it, then fully reset it afterward. Do not go into it's GUI. Use the main router to connect it with (via the AiMesh, add node).

If this still doesn't work, it suggests to me that the main router may need to be fully reset too (do not use a saved backup file on it to configure it either).

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I haven't used DSL equipment in a long time. You may want to try using @GNUton's firmware for your router as a test. Be sure you flash it, then fully reset it afterward. Do not go into it's GUI. Use the main router to connect it with (via the AiMesh, add node).

If this still doesn't work, it suggests to me that the main router may need to be fully reset too (do not use a saved backup file on it to configure it either).
I did look at his FW but I couldn't work out which one would work on that router.
I'll have a nosey again.

If you can't figure it out, ask on that thread for help. :)

If you can't figure it out, ask on that thread for help. :)
So I've updated the FW on the DSL-AC68U to 386.07_2-gnuton1 and then tried to connect and still got the same error.
I then factory reset the RT-AC68U and again tried to connect with the same error.

have you tried adding the node with it connected to the main router by ethernet?

ooops - sorry. Didn't think of that. maybe worth trying on an ethernet port?

the other thing to check is that you have WPS enabled on main router when adding via wifi... and place the node quite close to the main router so the wifi connection is strong.

the final suggestion is to run stock firmware on router then add the node then upgrade to merlin once all working...

Wireless node discovery is broken in Asuswrt-Merlin. Run Asuswrt stock on DSL-AC68U - it has 386 firmware available with AiMesh 2.0. Try LAN-LAN connection for wired node discovery. If still no luck - run Asuswrt on the main router. You can flash to Asuswrt-Merlin after, but you have to do the trick every time your AiMesh falls apart.

Wireless node discovery is broken in Asuswrt-Merlin. Run Asuswrt stock on DSL-AC68U - it has 386 firmware available with AiMesh 2.0. Try LAN-LAN connection for wired node discovery. If still no luck - run Asuswrt on the main router. You can flash to Asuswrt-Merlin after, but you have to do the trick every time your AiMesh falls apart.
I've just put them both on the latest stock FW and tried to rediscover the node, and previously it was getting to 1% and then coming back with the error - after flash its getting to 30% and erroring.
This is via WiFi - how can I discover via lan to lan connection - surely that's not possible?

I've just put them both on the latest stock FW and tried to rediscover the node, and previously it was getting to 1% and then coming back with the error - after flash its getting to 30% and erroring.
This is via WiFi - how can I discover via lan to lan connection - surely that's not possible?
sorry to hear you're still having issues. try lan to lan and see if it works. no harm in trying!

sometimes you have to do the discovery process a few times then it works. do a factory reset (WPS button reset) on the node after each fail and try again. also worth turning on node and wait a few minutes before attempting to add the node.

I know it's frustrating. Ive been there too!

sorry to hear you're still having issues. try lan to lan and see if it works. no harm in trying!

sometimes you have to do the discovery process a few times then it works. do a factory reset (WPS button reset) on the node after each fail and try again. also worth turning on node and wait a few minutes before attempting to add the node.

I know it's frustrating. Ive been there too!
I've already tried it a number of times.
The only thing I dont understand is how to do a LAN to LAN discovery. Surely the RT-AC68U wont be able to give it an IP address?
I have connected them via Ethernet, but the icon when discovered shows you that the WiFi signal is great, and no option to change it?

LAN to LAN doesn't work. Are you able to change one LAN port to WAN in the GUI?