What's new

Cannot Apply Administration Configurations / Cannot Delete Network Place (Samba) User

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MCDJ

New Around Here
Hello all. New user here.

I have an Asus RT-AC3100 running Merlin's 384.18. When I go to Administration | System and try to save changes there, clicking on the Apply button fails with "This account already exists. Please enter a different name." I read somewhere that this happens if on Network Place (Samba) the system user is not the first one on the list. I have checked and true, there is an old user name at the top of the list. I have tried deleting it, but the delete button is disabled for that user. How can I delete that user (which I no longer have a need for)? Can I ssh into the router and remove it via some config file? I have tried smbpasswd -x, smbpasswd -del, but the user gets added back to /etc/samba/smbpasswd every time the service restarts, and continues to stubbornly show at the top of the user list in USB Application | Network Place (Samba). Help!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!